Author Topic: 14, TODD STREET, MANCHESTER  (Read 29792 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
14, TODD STREET, MANCHESTER
« on: 13:52:24, 22/10/06 »
On the opposite side to Victoria Station, my father owned a cafeteria (it was called City Cafeteria) and the entrance was down some steps, he sold it and it was re-named the Bossa Nova nightclub.  The building is listed so is still there, just wondered if anyone remembered it or went there.  It was originally some sort of monastic  building or so he was told.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Luna

Re: 14, TODD STREET, MANCHESTER
« Reply #1 on: 08:35:15, 18/11/06 »
Approx. what year was it a cafe???
Shoot for the Moon.
Even if you miss it you will land among the Stars.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 08:30:05, 18/11/06 »
approx. 1960-1963

bodzy

« Reply #3 on: 16:15:22, 13/02/10 »
Yes I can remember a little cafe downstairs just there but I remember the Bossa Nova being upstairs  the Guy that run it last was Chick nick-named the Black Prince and just outside was Georgie the Greek selling flowers on a hand cart I remember Georgie and his girl friend won about 15grand on the football pools ,top money in them days

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 15:43:31, 15/02/10 »
You're right, my father had an office there after he'd sold it - I think it was to a Chinese restaurant owner called Li

Actually I think there was a lot of trouble at the Bossa Nova and it had to close, do you remember reading anything about it?

bodzy

« Reply #5 on: 16:41:44, 15/02/10 »
You're right, my father had an office there after he'd sold it - I think it was to a Chinese restaurant owner called Li

Actually I think there was a lot of trouble at the Bossa Nova and it had to close, do you remember reading anything about it?

A Little more info about Chick Chic Taylor Served with the RAF Bombmer Command !1945Stationed somewhere in the UK.H e later went on to win the novice WL boxing Champion,recorded in a uk newspaperTitled, A night At The G.P.O March 9th the King Edward Buildind LONDON,this would of been around 1946 /49.Chic Taylor moved to Manchester and became the owner of The BOSSA NOVA night club todd street Manchester,next to victoria railway station,the club was on the second floor,the entrance of which would be obscured in the daytime by a quant little flower shop at street level.Some time around these times Chic Taylor Was also top of the bill at the Ritz ballroom,a very popular venue in its time,and rembered by many im sure! He was for sometime the band Leader,and also played many instruments himself.around 1959 he moved from his home address at Wilson street Gorton Manchester to sundorne walk Manchester,near what was then called Heywood House a large Community housing complex,he was also a good friend of the local priest from St benidicts Church Ardwick,which is still there,but under diferent occupation.

This confirms that the bossa Nova was upstairs  will check back with you later
bodzy

bodzy

« Reply #6 on: 16:52:29, 15/02/10 »
One of the reason it had to close was because in them days most clubs had a gambling license , then  under the management of police Chief Constable Anderson all gambling  was stopped in these type of clubs and also Anderson (nick-named Gods Cop )decidedthat anyone out after 12 midnight was up to no good and most of the 24hr club scene run mostly by greeks was shut down

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 19:45:36, 15/02/10 »
Have checked and have been told that either Chick was injured or killed by some incident at the club, would you be able to find any information on this? :(

tango28

« Reply #8 on: 03:58:35, 17/02/10 »
 I used to go in the Bossa Nova in the early 60s  it was a great club then, later it was renamed the Top Cat, Just outside was Nellys Flower shop. the building is now demolished.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 09:42:41, 17/02/10 »
My father often used to talk about Nelly, a great character and was always bringing flowers home he'd bought from her :)

john205

« Reply #10 on: 07:28:20, 17/03/10 »
Directly opposite where you come out of Victoria station there was (now closed) a barbers or hair salon.

Before that (I'm going back to the 80's) it was where you went down some steps into the BRSA club (British rail Staff Association)
I know because I went down into it once in 1984

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 09:45:23, 17/03/10 »
Yes and there was a shop along there which sold stationery, pens etc.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 15:07:12, 04/05/10 »
« Last Edit: 16:24:46, 25/07/14 by Chris »

tony dixon

« Reply #13 on: 16:30:54, 05/05/10 »
This image was taken in 1980 and this is the first time I've seen it. You can see the sign on the side of the building for the Top Cat Club which I used to frequent in the 60's.

If you go to image m02842 on the website you can see that it was then the El Bossa Nova and the image is dated 1965. I also frequented this establishment - funds permitting.

Also image m07565 shows the chinese restaurant you mentioned earlier in the thread and, as you can see, it's called Chung Ying.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 17:10:00, 05/05/10 »
Oh thanks for that Tony, did you know the area round the back of the block is called 'Hanging Ditch', did they actually hang people there?