Author Topic: Embden Street School  (Read 6623 times)

Florence

Embden Street School
« on: 19:22:38, 30/07/14 »
I have reason to believe that the boy wearing glasses on the second row down and fourth from the left is my fathers' brother William Briggs  born 1906

My father Albert  born 1908 and William  were separated when they were very young as my grandmother could not afford to keep her three young sons

My father was sent to live with an aunt in Dublin but where William went to is a mystery

I promised my father before he died that I would try to find some trace of William or his family members and have been doing  just that for nearly 50 years.   I know!   No one can say I have not tried   Sorry I appear to be having trouble re sizing the photo of Embden Street School to 100 kb    Any suggestions 

Sorry I am having trouble with resizing the photograph of Embden Street school    Any Suggestions?
My father was such a kind loving man I feel I must never give up.  However,  I am running out of time now and would really love to do this for my Dad.

« Last Edit: 19:27:17, 30/07/14 by Florence »

jean

Re: Embden Street School
« Reply #1 on: 19:50:57, 30/07/14 »
Aww Florence what a sad thing to happen ,i do hope someone will be able to help you.
I know this may seem odd but have you thought about..Long lost families..(The tv programme)
your is a very unique story and they do love a challenge.Was Embden street school in Hulme as
i seem to remember it when i went to my grans..I wish you all the luck in the world..

Manx

« Reply #2 on: 09:23:54, 31/07/14 »
Hello Forence, your cause is worthy of some help,

1. Locate "IrfanView" it free to download and use, install it.

2. In Irfanview, "resize" the shot you need altering then save as *****. jpg (give it a name)

3. upload the resized shot to the forum.

800 x 600 pixels is a fairly decent size, always "maintain aspect ratio" when resizing so as not to appear squashed or stretched.

Within certain time limits, you can edit the image on the forum eg: delete it and re-post it resized again if you have got it wrong by mouse clicking small icon bottom right of forum posting window.

please ask if still unsure

Good luck with your venture!

Florence

« Reply #3 on: 16:27:43, 31/07/14 »
Aww Florence what a sad thing to happen ,i do hope someone will be able to help you.
I know this may seem odd but have you thought about..Long lost families..(The tv programme)
your is a very unique story and they do love a challenge.Was Embden street school in Hulme as
i seem to remember it when i went to my grans..I wish you all the luck in the world..

Thank you for your interest.

Yes I have tried Long Lost Families but for some reason they are not interested.  Perhaps there is too much time gone by since then but I do know that.  I am really keen to find any family he may have had or even just to know what became of him.

Both my parents had very sad lives and many sorrows.  They lost a child  ( my sister Amelia ) when she was just six years old. She caught diphtheria just after our little two up and two down terrace house had been bombed and my father went into the forces in December 1940 and Amelia died in the following March

My mother had been brought up by her siblings as she was the youngest of 8 Children

Their mother died when my Mum was 7 years old and their father was in a P.O.W Camp on the Isle of Man

This was a family secret as their father was a German immigrant and was interned after the rioting in Manchester.  He was then sent back to Germany after the war.

There goes by another story!  It is one which was not spoken about as the family were afraid of any repercussions.  There house in Union Street had been ramsacked by anti German rioters in response to the sinking of the Lusitania. My Grandmother had been dragged outside and the very neighbours who my grandfather had given bread and cakes to ( he was a master baker)  proceeded to cut off her lovely long hair

I apologise for ranting but I feel such sorrow.  He was a very kind good man.

I must not bore you but all this and more came to light after the death of one of my aunts and it took me years and years to get to the truth.

Thank you for your kindness

I will keep on my search  until the last breath in my body.

Florence

« Reply #4 on: 16:44:50, 31/07/14 »

Florence

« Reply #5 on: 16:47:18, 31/07/14 »

Hope the photo is not too small now.

Don't ask me how I did it!

Just a [censored].

jean

« Reply #6 on: 18:24:49, 31/07/14 »
Hi Florence,im just feeling so sad reading about your family history.Such dreadful tragedies.
I hope that you do find some family.The secrets we all have in our families i uncovered some
in mine, when my mum passed away. She was born in Spain we knew that  but didnt we
know that she was adopted.Its so sad that she kept her secret all her life we have tried for years
to find anything out but just come up to a brick wall..I wish you all the luck in the world  Jean.

migky

« Reply #7 on: 18:53:36, 31/07/14 »
Send me  a copy of the full size photo and i will re-size and post it on here for you if you like Florence?
I'll PM you my email address.

Migky
I'm a bit like Marmite

migky

« Reply #8 on: 19:16:55, 31/07/14 »
Hows this?

I'm a bit like Marmite

migky

« Reply #9 on: 19:18:27, 31/07/14 »
And this ?

Migky  :)

I'm a bit like Marmite

jean

« Reply #10 on: 19:46:33, 31/07/14 »
Aw bless thats just so lovely and really kind of you Florence will be so pleased.
Its such a clear photo given its age.

Is that you in the uniform?

Florence

« Reply #11 on: 20:03:37, 31/07/14 »
Not very good at this posting lark as I have replied to two and not seen them on line

Just wanted to say   Migky   I think I love you.

Florence

migky

« Reply #12 on: 20:27:30, 31/07/14 »

Just wanted to say   Migky   I think I love you.

Florence

Err! before you get carried away, do you have all your own teeth, love men who like a drink or three, and finally but most importantly you must also love Manchester city football club? If you don't i can't see this relationship going any where and i will just put it down to you are happy i posted the photos for you?

Migky  ;D 
I'm a bit like Marmite

jean

« Reply #13 on: 09:24:54, 01/08/14 »
Brilliant migky, :2funny:

Bollydolly

« Reply #14 on: 16:36:48, 18/11/14 »
Hi, have you tried the MEN, they may use the photo. My late Mum found old school friends via them. She and her sisters and brothers went to Embden St. School from about 1901/1940's.
Good luck in your search  :)