Author Topic: Monmouth Street Rusholme Manchester  (Read 2344 times)

allan

Monmouth Street Rusholme Manchester
« on: 01:33:10, 04/09/14 »
Can any one point me in the right direction (no pun intended)?

I am trying to find the approximate location of Monmouth Street in Rusholme.

I know that in the 1870's there was a Police Station on the Street, but I believe that the Street itself may no longer exist.

In 1871, a possible relative and his family were living there and were Provision and Beer Suppliers.

The reason I'm curious about the location is that in 1911 my grandfather was shown boarding in Greame Street in Moss Side.

I am wondering if the person on the 1871 census was related to my grandfather and that may have been why my grandfather moved back to the area.

Please don't ask about my grandfather prior to his marriage in 1904 as there is no trace of him in official records, or at least not under the name he was married under and which he used until his death in 1930.

Allan

allan

Re: Monmouth Street Rusholme Manchester
« Reply #1 on: 09:58:25, 04/09/14 »
My Nephew informs me that it's name was changed to
Claremont Road.

I don't know where he got the information from, but I do have a vague recollection of  Claremont Road being mentioned on one site I visited on the Web :-\

Manx

« Reply #2 on: 11:26:50, 04/09/14 »
The old police station was located on the block situated on the corner of Wilmslow Road and Claremont Road (late: Monmouth Street) and was opposite Fleeson Street and Hibbbert Street - all long gone.

http://www.victorianpolicestations.org/monmouth-st-ps-rusholme.html

allan

« Reply #3 on: 22:01:55, 04/09/14 »
Thanks for the information, Manx.

Regards

Allan