Author Topic: Furniture Store-Stockport Road, Longsight  (Read 2385 times)

annafern

Furniture Store-Stockport Road, Longsight
« on: 17:41:47, 17/06/07 »
I am trying to do some research into a couple of business which my grandfather, Godfrey Gould ran between 1895-1919. We think his first big shop was at 755-757 Stockport Road, Longsight around 1901, although I have a picture of his shop which says Longsight Furniture Store and today we have tried to locate the actual shop and have discovered its is actually at 645-647 Stockport Road which is located in Levenshulme.

Can anyone tell me if Stockport Road numbers have been changed since then and can you tell me if 755-757 is now 645-647

Also can anyone tell me how to locate any memorabilia, photgraphs or records dating back from my Grandfathers shop on Stockport Road?

I have also found him in the business directory for 1895 as Millinery at 19 Stockport Road and I wonder if anyone can clarify this.

Finally I am also trying to research an early business he had on Slade Lane. Please see second posting entitled Furniture Store-Slade Lane, Longsight

Many thanks

Anna Gould

finney

Re: Furniture Store-Stockport Road, Longsight
« Reply #1 on: 00:37:37, 23/07/08 »
Hi Anna,

An old post but was just browsing and came across it.

Stockport Road was re-numbered - think sometime late 40's early 50's, so 755 down to 645
would sound about right.

Manchester Archives has quite a few images of Stockport Road Longsight online so you may find some photo's of the premises. Web address is:-

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php

Failing that, you can always email the Archives & Local Studies Dept to see if they hold
any pics and or details. Cost used to be 50p per pic.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Finney
« Last Edit: 00:42:31, 23/07/08 by finney »