Author Topic: Almond Street or Great Almond Street School  (Read 1529 times)

Heather

Almond Street or Great Almond Street School
« on: 13:50:38, 08/11/14 »
I believe my mother Lydia Warren attended Almond Street -or Great Almond Street School between the years 1922-1928 but can find no trace of the school or -Great Almond Street- can anyone help please?

migky

Re: Almond Street or Great Almond Street School
« Reply #1 on: 15:51:38, 08/11/14 »
Hi & welcome Heather.
You don't give any idea of where this school was in either Manchester or Salford , it would help.
I know there was an Almond street in Collyhurst/newton area. It was between Collyhurst road & Rochdale road. The nearest school to that would have been a ten min walk to St. Catherine's on Collyhurst road. Manchester image website has photos of this school but at the moment the website is down.

Migky  :)

I'm a bit like Marmite

Manx

« Reply #2 on: 20:49:23, 09/11/14 »
Could not see any reference to a school on Almond Street, (Newtown) Collyhurst on any maps, however there was a large primary school on Higher Ormond Street, Hulme.

The 'higher' school near to Lower Ormond Street was Cavendish School just to the rear of All Saints Park.

http://manchesterhistory.net/manchester/gone/cavendishschool.html

Would need more details otherwise pure guesswork.

migky

« Reply #3 on: 11:23:10, 10/11/14 »
Could not see any reference to a school on Almond Street, (Newtown) Collyhurst on any maps

There are other Almond streets in Manchester but like i originally said, we need to know what area your talking about Heather?

Migky
I'm a bit like Marmite