Author Topic: Bellott Street Cheetham  (Read 3647 times)

cliftonboy

Bellott Street Cheetham
« on: 02:25:23, 18/11/14 »

[I've just joined the forum. I was born in Cheetham in 1949 and lived in Irlam O' Th' Height and Clifton before we emigrated to Australia in 1955.]
My mother's family lived at 99 Bellott Street. It's mentioned as the home of one of the families in Maisie Rosco's book "Almonds and Raisins about Jewish immigrants settling in Manchester in the early 20th Century. I was very disappointed when I went back there in the 1990s and found those big Victorian houses had been demolished and replaced by very ugly townhouses.

Does anyone have any photos of the street from the old days?

Thanks

migky

Re: Bellott Street Cheetham
« Reply #1 on: 06:10:23, 18/11/14 »
Hi & welcome Clifftonboy. Click here for Bellott Street images

Migky :)
I'm a bit like Marmite

cliftonboy

« Reply #2 on: 23:33:03, 20/11/14 »
Thanks for the link. Makes me wonder why they had to demolish the old houses. I know a lot of building done in the 19th century has pretty dodgy, being the result of having to house the huge influx of factory and mill workers, but I still think they could have done it better.
Best wishes

migky

« Reply #3 on: 09:11:29, 21/11/14 »
Yep! there were many big & beautiful houses in the area but sadly they are long gone and replace with modern slums, Manchester & Salford councils are good at doing things like that.

Migky  :) [size=78%]   [/size]
I'm a bit like Marmite

queally15

« Reply #4 on: 17:17:56, 21/08/19 »
Hi, I used to live there ( Bellot St) in 1965 for a short time. We lived next door to a Family called the Olivers who had a second hand shop in Lower Broughton. He owned this massive van that took ages to start!! We moved to Pendleton in 1966. I had Jewish friends on the opposite side of the street.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #5 on: 21:10:15, 21/08/19 »
As kids we played in Bellott St Park occasionally.

queally15

« Reply #6 on: 21:25:06, 21/08/19 »
Last time I visited it was still there. I used to go to the cinema on the corner of Waterloo Road and Cheetam Hill

St Chads Lad

« Reply #7 on: 21:38:08, 21/08/19 »
Yes, the picture house was the ABC Premier, it was a lovely theatre, the Temple picture house was further toward town, not as plush, we called it 'the bug hut'😁
. The area's a mess now sadly.

queally15

« Reply #8 on: 21:45:22, 21/08/19 »
I remember that also!! I went with my mum and dad to see The War Wagon there. I alsu saw A Star is Born at the Premier. A lot of Jewish people lived in Bellot St. in the bigger houses on the left hand side.

Parky

« Reply #9 on: 22:23:35, 21/08/19 »
Yes, the picture house was the ABC Premier, it was a lovely theatre, the Temple picture house was further toward town, not as plush, we called it 'the bug hut'😁
. The area's a mess now sadly.
Went in the temple with jimmy a few times, it was the only place we could get in for a x film, I remember the manager a fat bloke who carried a cosh which he hit you on the leg if he caught you dangling your legs over the empty seats in front , I think we named him hamberger gezzler out of the William tell programme,

St Chads Lad

« Reply #10 on: 14:26:13, 22/08/19 »
LOL, imagine that now, back then you had to behave or you got put straight, funny you should mention Jimmy though, the only time I recall attending the pictures with him was at the Temple, I'm sure we saw 'Little big man', one of many great memories of a great friend 😁

Parky

« Reply #11 on: 14:29:59, 22/08/19 »
LOL, imagine that now, back then you had to behave or you got put straight, funny you should mention Jimmy though, the only time I recall attending the pictures with him was at the Temple, I'm sure we saw 'Little big man', one of many great memories of a great friend 😁
Yes god bless him

queally15

« Reply #12 on: 14:34:25, 22/08/19 »
You wouldn't dare hit anyone now!! Lawsuit follows!? Sometimes the neighbours would shake your arm if you were cheeky. Times have changed and not for the best. Kids rule the parents.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #13 on: 14:42:53, 22/08/19 »
You wouldn't dare hit anyone now!! Lawsuit follows!? Sometimes the neighbours would shake your arm if you were cheeky. Times have changed and not for the best. Kids rule the parents.
Times certainly have changed, no doubt.

Collegiateboy

« Reply #14 on: 03:35:09, 21/11/19 »
I used to go Temple cinema often . it stayed open long after all the other cinemas closed down.
Bellot St park had a tennis court and a parkie. The 81 bus used to terminate there. Nices photos. The photo of the park shows the Byelorussian Club, and the 2 houses next to it , I think were owned by a Polish landlord who owned a some other properties in Cheetham. I remember there was a big fire in one of them.