Author Topic: CHIC TAYLOR (Bossa Nova club, Todd Street)  (Read 3793 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
CHIC TAYLOR (Bossa Nova club, Todd Street)
« on: 15:45:35, 24/11/14 »
Anyone remember Chic from the Bossa Nova?

His daughter, Roberta, would appreciate any memories, anecdotes etc. of her grandfather

thanks

Celeste  :)
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Adsum

Re: CHIC TAYLOR (Bossa Nova club, Todd Street)
« Reply #1 on: 17:37:54, 24/11/14 »
Didn't we have a longish correspondence about Chic some time ago, after his son posted some information about him? I seem to remember relating the story of  when we all used to go to The Victoria baths on Hathersage road. Chic was one of the regular Friday morning crowd. Of course knowing me, I could be getting confused with another site.  :-[
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 17:53:20, 24/11/14 »
This was a previous post -

A Little more info about Chick Chic Taylor Served with the RAF Bombmer Command !1945Stationed somewhere in the UK.H e later went on to win the novice WL boxing Champion,recorded in a uk newspaperTitled, A night At The G.P.O March 9th the King Edward Buildind LONDON,this would of been around 1946 /49.Chic Taylor moved to Manchester and became the owner of The BOSSA NOVA night club Todd street Manchester,next to Victoria railway station,the club was on the second floor, the entrance of which would be obscured in the daytime by a quant little flower shop at street level. Some time around these times Chic Taylor Was also top of the bill at the Ritz ballroom, a very popular venue in its time, and remembered by many I'm sure! He was for sometime the bandleader, and also played many instruments himself. Around 1959 he moved from his home address at Wilson street Gorton Manchester to Sundorne walk Manchester, near what was then called Heywood House a large Community housing complex, he was also a good friend of the local priest from St Benedicts Church,  Ardwick, which is still there, but under diFferent occupation.

However, I think Roberta wishes to hear from people who actually knew her grandfather

Manx

« Reply #3 on: 11:37:04, 03/12/14 »
Re:-  *Chic Taylor moved to Manchester and became the owner of The BOSSA NOVA night club*

Was Chick Really the owner? - an updated post on the Manchesterbeat web site by Al Showman (a well respected club performer of Manchester back then) suggests different?

http://www.manchesterbeat.com/venues/manchester_cbd/bossnova/bossanova.php?cmtx_perm=710#cmtx_perm_710

TheOneUK

« Reply #4 on: 23:11:53, 31/08/15 »
Hi Again
Don Here.. One of Chic's Sons,I have been over to the Manchester Beat site and updated accordingly
Chic Did purchase the Club El Bossa Nova  Eventually as the notes i put on the Manchester beat site should clear up,and i even remember him having his Name put up over the business from the outside ,Which when the sign writers finished then read CHICO'S BOSSA NOVA  (A photo of same can be seen on the Manchesterbeat website ). As opposed to what was up there previous which just read Club El BOSSA NOVA,Of course this was after its original Name had been replaced from being called ,The Top Cat Club
Not only that but when he died (God Bless) The club went to my Eldest Brother Robert who would of been in line before me as i was still at school
A lot of questionable events seemed to happen over the few years it was in my Brothers care,The details of which are still blurred today.
As before i will pop in and take a peek often on this site as,Even though i have been out of Manchester for some years,Manchester has never been out of Me.
Thanks for letting me have a say,Great Site and Great People ...Must be a Manchester trait... lol
 Don Patric Albert Chic Taylor

Just a note for those that may not of known.His Name was Chic Taylor , Patric Albert Chic Taylor in fact, His original South American Birthright 
                    Not (Chick ) or Patrick  as other less familiar with the spelling of his name have incorrectly stated...I'm sure we all mean the same Guy !
Hey I'd love to hear from any and all who may have known or visited the club,Or any other info however loosely connected ..
Don.
Don TheOne

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 18:41:30, 01/09/15 »
Welcome again Don, I didn't know Chic had so many sons, perhaps if you name them they may ring a bell with some people who view the forum

O0

Stefan wayne chic Taylor

« Reply #6 on: 22:50:10, 10/01/16 »
 ;DHello uncle Don

Annthorne

« Reply #7 on: 01:05:28, 21/07/21 »
Hi don do you temember an irish doorman of the top cat club called pascal / peter /paddy he is my dad & i was just wondering if you or your dad took any pictures of him in the 70s 80s

curbsfan

« Reply #8 on: 13:36:17, 06/01/22 »

In 1974, one pound for a year's membership. My Bossa Nova Club Membership Card - Expiry Date : 28 JUL 1975[/font][/size]

[/font][/size]

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 13:45:22, 06/01/22 »
Re:-  *Chic Taylor moved to Manchester and became the owner of The BOSSA NOVA night club*

Was Chick Really the owner? - an updated post on the Manchesterbeat web site by Al Showman (a well respected club performer of Manchester back then) suggests different?

http://www.manchesterbeat.com/venues/manchester_cbd/bossnova/bossanova.php?cmtx_perm=710#cmtx_perm_710

Hi Manx  -  HNY

The link isn't working for me,  is there another?