Author Topic: burgess street  (Read 2103 times)

ged callaghan

burgess street
« on: 12:28:35, 04/05/15 »
I am new to this site I have a few comments on harpurhey I went to burgess st school left in 1959 head mistress miss hornsbey later mr Goodwin teachers were mr learner miss booth mr roney mr gribben mr mcclean mrs mcclean anyone remember miss taylor from infants she was a lovely lady used to play down the black brookI lived on Westmoreland st  I remember gottellis lovely ice cream I was a delivery boy for paddy lee,s later melias  although very improvished in harpurhey I had a lovely childhood

coppershelmet

Re: burgess street
« Reply #1 on: 12:07:39, 14/10/20 »
I remember Miss Hornsby, she got a medal of the Queen for her long service and made us all parade past her at assembly whilst she showed it to everybody. Mr Goodwin had really poppy eyes that looked like they would leave his head when he got angry. Mr Learner was lethal with library books if you were talking in class he would walk past you as if he hadn't noticed you talking then from behind he would WAP you across the head with the biggest book he could find, you would then sit there for the next half hour seeing stars. Loved going into Gottellis for a milk shake then listen to Rose arguing with her Husband in the back room in Italian. Mr McClean was a sadist who would wield his leather strap with great vigour and satisfaction has he watched huge welts appear on your fingers and tears appear in your eyes. Happy Days. :smitten: