Author Topic: RALLI BROTHERS,MANCHESTER  (Read 2947 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
RALLI BROTHERS,MANCHESTER
« on: 13:11:43, 13/06/15 »
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=Ralli+Brothers+manchester

The five Ralli brothers, Zannis a.k.a. John (1785–1859), Augustus (1792–1878), Pandia a.k.a. Zeus (1793–1865), Toumazis (1799–1858), and Eustratios (1800–84) founded Ralli Brothers, perhaps the most successful expatriate Greek merchant business of the Victorian era.

Born to a wealthy merchant family of Chios, their father Stephenos Ralli (1755–1827) had settled in Marseille, but recognised that the nexus of trading had changed in the aftermath of the Napoleonic wars, and sent his eldest son John to London to explore business opportunities.

All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: RALLI BROTHERS,MANCHESTER
« Reply #1 on: 13:13:53, 13/06/15 »
I was wondering if they were connected to Bollin House near Bridge Street, Manchester

Manx

« Reply #2 on: 16:14:19, 14/06/15 »
If you travel up Bridge Street and follow the bend over the river Irwell via Albert Bridge - then at the start of New Bailey street turn left into Stanley Street, past the Mark Addy Pub are two large buildings. This was the approximate area of the Ralli Building which were demolished about 1985.

I remember the streets being cobbled (square sets) - inside the building there were marble or mosaic style floors and there was much wood panelling, even the lift/escalator was wood panelled and a uniformed attendant/commissionaire  would take you to requested floor.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=63385&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=63372

(pic for referrence only)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 16:34:38, 14/06/15 »
What a splendid photo of the building, thanks Manx

Was something built in it's place?

Manx

« Reply #4 on: 16:52:24, 14/06/15 »
Have not been in that area recently, i believe there was much controversy about the Ralli Courts which would have been adjacent to the old Ralli Building - not sure.

http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/News/One-New-Bailey-To-Rise-On-Doomed-Ralli

Romilly

« Reply #5 on: 13:37:05, 02/03/21 »
I noticed this Report of a serious accident at a warehouse in Manchester, and wondered if anyone knew where I could find any more information about it?

‘Serious Accident at a Warehouse:

A Presser named William J. Wilson, 25yrs, who is in the employment of Messieurs Ralli Brothers, Merchants, Manchester met with a serious accident on Monday.
He was in the act of descending a hoist and fell from the 3rd to the Ground Floor.

Romilly.

Manx

« Reply #6 on: 14:39:38, 02/03/21 »
@ Romilly
At first on reading your post about the accident, i though maybe the lift system in the Ralli buildings was 'hydraulic' via the network which was set up in Manchester about 1894.
Such a sytem was almost purpose designed for the cotton bailing trade as was Ralli Bros'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Hydraulic_Power

some further investigative homework is needed to determine what kind of lift system was in actual use - - steam perhaps? - yet it could also be the fact that Ralli Bros' were previously in other buildings before moving into Ralli buildings and likely that these were the reference to the accident. They had a mill in Trumpet street, Gaythorn area, an area once riddled with hydraulic water powered lifts and other machinery.
But the said accident occurred in 1889, although i have actually been in both buildings i doubt i could help any further.

Romilly

« Reply #7 on: 14:58:45, 02/03/21 »
Thanks for your reply Manx.

The Newspaper Article that I quoted from was in The Manchester Times of the 15th June 1889.

It says that William J.Wilson was in the act of descending a hoist, when he fell from the 3rd to the Ground Floor. Presumably quite a height?

I was interested because my Grandfather William James Wilson,  born Manchester in 1860 (approx) might have been the injured man.

I wonder whether he would have received any compensation? Or whether a Union might have acted on his behalf?

My Grandfather set up a Painting and Decorating Business in Swansea in 1895 with ‘the sum of £36’, and I wondered if that might have been compensation money for having been injured at work?

Romilly.