Author Topic: Windows 10 Experience.  (Read 7256 times)

shapedinlet

Windows 10 Experience.
« on: 05:23:28, 05/08/15 »
Have you switched to Windows 10 yet and why in either case?

If you have done, then what is your experience of it so far?

lozflan

Re: Windows 10 Experience.
« Reply #1 on: 06:25:03, 05/08/15 »
It did other updates of outdated stuff and fixed a major headache,with little help from me.
Seeing as I,m rubbish at fixing problems,hope it carries on.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

shapedinlet

« Reply #2 on: 19:39:49, 05/08/15 »
Hi Lozflan, what kind of problems were you having / are still having?

lozflan

« Reply #3 on: 09:51:18, 06/08/15 »
Every time it went to sleep,it disconnected [wireless] from net and very difficult to get back on It even did it while using.
Now , a few clicks of icon,back on.
What I,ve never known is that as I prefer Google, and W10,s browser is EDGE [Explorer]
does it cause any user conflict

shapedinlet

« Reply #4 on: 18:46:34, 06/08/15 »
I don't know about how things work at the moment with Windows 10, however with all previous versions of Windows you could pretty much use any other browser supported by Windows without causing any conflicts.  It must be noted though that as they re programmed so differently that problems are more than likely to occur, it's just unavoidable.

I would think that you should be just fine using Google as your main browser if you so wish to do so though, you'd just lose what you get with Edge, just give it a try and see how it goes, that's the beauty of Windows, it's designed in such a way that almost anything works with it as there will mostly always be drivers and software available for it :)

I'm not quite sure what the Wireless problem was, it could be a number of things and it would require some serious troubleshooting to get to the bottom of what the actual problem was, a few guesses are that the wireless adapter was set to go into a power saving mode after some time and waking it back up again took a while, also you may not have had the correct or best drivers installed for the adapter, you may even have had a stray virus which your scanner wasn't picking up, there are more possibilities I'm sure, but each one is as unlikely as the next, so it would be difficult to fix unless you knew what you were doing and tried everything.

Judging by how Windows 10 seems to have bettered your problem if not fixed it, it's probably down to the adapters settings and drivers which have all now been changed due to the updated Windows 10 drivers and default settings being applied.

What other problems if any did / do you have?

shapedinlet

« Reply #5 on: 19:07:04, 06/08/15 »
Oh and another thing to remember with internet browsers is that most web content is designed for Internet Explorer and soon will be for Edge, support for other browsers is optional and can be very time consuming, so things just generally should work better with a Microsoft based browser.

Also due to the programming nature of different browsers, the content will look and work differently and some features may not be available with all browsers due to the time it would take to do it for all of them, you will however always get the full deal with a Microsoft based one as that is what everything is designed towards :)

lozflan

« Reply #6 on: 18:45:50, 10/08/15 »
One snag,log in to Forum wouldnt recognise P/Wd.
Only by Googling,then clicking the Forum heading,has got me in.

shapedinlet

« Reply #7 on: 18:57:51, 10/08/15 »
That's strange, I can get in just fine, at least so far anyway, without having to do anything differently.

It might be worth doing a good spring clean of your PC, now that you have Windows 10 on there, you're given 30 days to roll back to your previous operating system if you're not happy with it, but if you are then after 30 days you're stuck with it :)

Creating a Windows 10 installation disk, using either a blank DVD or USB device will allow you to perform a full clean installation of Windows 10 on the same machine whenever you like, so it might be worth doing that after doing a full backup of all of your data that you don't want to lose.

Doing a full clean installation of Windows breathes new life into any machine as long as it supports the operating system installed upon it, it really can make all the difference in the World and if done after fully formatting the hard drive it will also rid your PC of any viruses that a virus scanner can easily miss, just ensure that you do a full virus scan of all of your data after backing it up and before putting it back onto your PC to get rid of anything in there as well.

If you need any assistance with anything further then please feel free to send me a private message, I might be able to better help you out that way.

lozflan

« Reply #8 on: 19:22:10, 15/08/15 »
Sitting on the fence a bit as I was quite happy on W.8  Grass is greener etc.
On W.10 acouple of tiles didnt work, plus the Forum block and as there was a couple of gliches on Google, I did a reboot and the Tiles then came on. Still Google chrome is giving better results in places, so I,ll keep it on.

shapedinlet

« Reply #9 on: 23:54:42, 15/08/15 »
Look at it this way, we're jumping on the band wagon from the early stages of its public release and we haven't paid anything further other than time to get it on our machines.  It's there for the 'lifetime' of the machine so the best thing to do is to do a full clean install of the operating system after backing everything up to get things working the best they possibly can be.  Any actual problems with the operating system itself will soon be looked into by Microsoft and fixes or workarounds will be available for them.  It's better than paying £100 or £200 for the operating system and then being disappointed with it.

It's not every day Microsoft give away their operating system like this, so I'm happy with it and won't be looking backwards :)

You're right though, the grass is never greener on the other side, but the Windows 10 experience will get better over time I'm sure of it.

kipper

« Reply #10 on: 10:55:27, 05/09/15 »
iv been using windows 10 since it was first put up for free down load

iv had no problems whats so ever  I love the apps that you can down load for free well some of them any way iv used windows 95 windows 7 and 8 and I think this one is the best  you will get bugs that's always the case with a new o/s but I'm sure m/soft will  sort them out its a 100% improvement  on the other o/s from m/soft 

shapedinlet

« Reply #11 on: 20:27:50, 05/09/15 »
I've used MS-DOS albeit very briefly, I was a daily user of Windows 3.1 & Windows 3.11 at secondary school, then I moved onto Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 & Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10.

The only one I haven't really used is Windows Vista, I've seen, but never really used it.

From my Microsoft based experience I can honestly say that Windows 3.1/3.11 is the best one I've ever used, it brings back fond memories from my much younger days, the next best one I'm still debating over it, hopefully Windows 10 will win, unless another one comes out before I can make that decision, lol.

I've also used a couple of Mac operating systems, a couple of flavours of Linux, Spectrum, BBC and a few other computers/operating systems.

As rightly stated by kipper though all software not just operating systems will have bugs in them, what separates Microsoft from the rest though is the amount of after sales support they provide for their software, fixing bugs and providing updates and all sorts rather than just bringing out another piece of software as a fix for them all the time.  However the winds may be changing if Microsoft do start releasing a new operating system every one or 2 years though.

kipper

« Reply #12 on: 09:16:38, 06/09/15 »
 i started off with ms/dos 3.5 and word for windows  in them days software was a bit thin on the ground  and expensive i did get my hand on a f/disk drive  i think it was 5.5 at the time  then i had a 3.5 drive that had windows on it about five disks all in all then i had an external c/d drive windows 3.5 dos coped  with the hard ware ok  then come windows 95 that was a must have but i only had a small hard drive at the time and windows 95 took most of that space up and now im running windows 10 now looking back over time and the different o/s that m/soft have come out with im thinking that this is the start of a new kind of o/s android is going to take the place of windows has we know it

but just to digress for a Minuit going back to the time of Sinclair  and the zx 80   in  1978 or 79   i seen an add in  one of the mags for a build your own computer kit it was a small  firm in Cambridge so i sent off for it and about a week later in turned up  it took me four nights after work to build it but i did it yes i got it up and running  it had one game with it a bat and ball type of game it took a bit of time to get it to shack hands with the tv  but i soon got that sorted   and iv still got it and it still works   and no its not for sale

whats this got to do with windows 10 you may ask    the point being in my life time computers have come a long way they are getting faster better and smarter  and when you look back over time they have come a long way its windows 10 to day but what will it be in two years time     

shapedinlet

« Reply #13 on: 21:39:20, 06/09/15 »
Yes, back in those days those 5.5inch floppy disks really were floppy, they were almost like paper, then the 3.5 inch ones came out and they were protected by the outer plastic casing they resided in and the name just didn't seem right anymore, lol.

I think I remember that old bat and ball game, it's the one where you bounce the ball around and smash the windows or whatever they are on the other side of the screen whilst ensuring that the ball doesn't leave the screen through any gaps on either side of it, meaning that on your side you always have to have the bat in the right position at the right time to keep it moving or you end up losing lives, I had that on my ZX Spectrum 48K as well, along with a few other games.

Wow, it's amazing that you've managed to keep that old kit working until today, nowadays you'd be lucky if the kit lasted you for much longer than 5 years without having to replace some component(s) or other due to them becoming faulty.

kipper

« Reply #14 on: 08:54:33, 07/09/15 »
the processor in my home built comp is a zx 80  its in a gray case you need a tape recorder to load the program in to the zx80 it takes a long time to load has time went on sinclair changed to name of his  firm from Cambridge electronics  to sinclair he then come out with the zx 81 then he come out with the specy 16k  the first colour computer from spectrum then he come out with the 48k i think it would be fair to say that he was the father of the home computer

and now just look how far we have come and how power full the home computer has got windows 10 today what the next step