Author Topic: Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega.  (Read 7340 times)

shapedinlet

Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega.
« on: 19:19:06, 14/08/15 »
Hi all, is anybody interested in the new Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega coming out on 24/08/2015?

I myself used to own a ZX Spectrum 48K back in the 80's and I grew up with it until it finally broke on me around 1990/1991.  I've always considered it to be the best computer in the World and I've just pre ordered it so I can relive those memories, whenever I get the time :)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega.
« Reply #1 on: 22:10:36, 14/08/15 »
Have you heard of a Sinclair Plus 2?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

shapedinlet

« Reply #2 on: 23:00:55, 14/08/15 »
Nope, I can't say that I have to be honest, my cousin did however have the Spectrum 128K which came with a built in tape deck and built in games as well and the really the only 2 I've ever shown interest in as I had the opportunity to use them in my youth.

Jim44

« Reply #3 on: 21:38:53, 15/08/15 »
How much are they?

shapedinlet

« Reply #4 on: 23:48:01, 15/08/15 »
They're not exactly cheap at £99 each, but to be able to once again play on the proper hardware rather than using emulators and the ability to add more games and even create your own for it seems like an attractive offer to me all the same

Jim44

« Reply #5 on: 16:14:38, 16/08/15 »
They're not exactly cheap at £99 each, but to be able to once again play on the proper hardware rather than using emulators and the ability to add more games and even create your own for it seems like an attractive offer to me all the same

Thank you, I shall look out for them.

shapedinlet

« Reply #6 on: 19:07:26, 24/08/15 »
Oh well, now they've been delayed until mid September possibly.

shapedinlet

« Reply #7 on: 19:13:58, 11/09/15 »
It may be worth holding off on the Spectrum Vega, for now at least as more recently the ZX Spectrum has been recreated by Elite who used to produce games for it in the 70's & 80's.  That machine seems like a slightly better option, but still has its drawbacks and they are very similarly priced.

Corrupt council

« Reply #8 on: 11:11:32, 12/09/15 »
Never understood retro computing.
But the spectrum if you look back was a design icon. ::)

Does anyone want to bring back the c64?

ROY.

shapedinlet

« Reply #9 on: 20:08:50, 12/09/15 »
To me retro computing is just about reliving past memories just the same way you would with an old family album from when you were younger :)

I agree it's not quite the same, but it still has a certain pull to it and some of the titles/software have actually stood the tests of time quite well and are still as enjoyable as they were back in the day.  Some of the stuff from back then is definitely better then a lot that comes out nowadays, today it's all about graphics and looking good, but what about the gameplay, back in the day nobody was overly concerned about graphics, gameplay ruled :)

I've had very little experience with the C64, but I wouldn't say no to it if it did make a return.

looter

« Reply #10 on: 12:10:00, 13/09/15 »
What I find amazing is how they fitted so much into so little. They talked in k now we talk in terrabits. The games had full soundtracks squeezed in and endless levels.
The programmers were so ingenious with the way they had to work with. Now sadly most games are very repetaive and I just don't have the same excitement as I did for them.

shapedinlet

« Reply #11 on: 21:36:45, 13/09/15 »
That is very true, but in those days graphics were basically just typed characters/symbols, sort of like you see when you download a gamefaqs walkthrough in text format, the text graphics on those things are quite good, so that hardly took up much space as it was just plain text like this:

██
            ████
          ██████
          █  ██  █
          █        █

Obviously as whole levels and characters were designed in such a way it could of taken the designers quite some time to sort the graphics out.  The sound would have taken the most space up, but I think a lot of those games just used a series of beeps at various frequencies and were just looped together (eg: For i = 1 to 10; beep;)so it was similar to the graphics in that sense and very clever, those guys were experts in both graphics and sound design as well as gifted programmers.  So basically everything was just hard code, fully typed in just like this message, no actual graphics or sound just clever ways of manipulating them :)

Nowadays they have full length videos, soundtracks, complex 3D graphics and all sorts, there is still a lot of text based programming involved but mostly dedicated to the main structure of the game and its inner workings.

You are very right in saying most games are now repetitive, which would be fine if they were enjoyable, but unfortunately most of them just aren't.

GeraldPriob

Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega
« Reply #12 on: 03:59:18, 27/03/19 »
the VEGA is not pretending to be a ZX Spectrum, it IS a ZX Spectrum ... without a keyboard; the Speccy games used the keyboard, this would have been really cool with a ZX style keyboard.