Author Topic: Bella Vista ,Broughton grammar school for girls.  (Read 8192 times)

chancer1

Has anyone got any photos of Bella Vista ,Broughton grammar school for girls which used to stand on Bury New Road Salford.My friend went there about 1958 onwards.She speaks with such fondness about the place especially the magnificent staircase,"happiest days of my life" she recalls.
regards chancer 1.

migky

Re: Bella Vista ,Broughton grammar school for girls.
« Reply #1 on: 15:40:49, 15/08/15 »
This use to be Bella Vista House, and later became Broughton High School for Girls.

Migky

« Last Edit: 15:53:53, 15/08/15 by migky »
I'm a bit like Marmite

chancer1

« Reply #2 on: 11:22:49, 16/08/15 »
Thanks for photos Migky i remembered Bella Vista but forgot the name of the school ,i googled Bella Vista and got Broughton grammar school off wikipedia under Salford Broughton.Photos are great hope someone has photos of interior as well.chancer 1

fortescue38

« Reply #3 on: 08:57:44, 15/05/16 »
Hello - I've been searching for information about an old postcard I have bought and came across this post.  Can anyone tell me whereabouts on Bury New Road the High School/ Bella Vista was, please?   I may upload my postcard later, if I can figure out how to do it!  I think it is a picture taken at the rear - in the foreground is what appears to be a tennis court and behind it is a large building with what might have been a conservatory on the end.

I may also post this as a new topic as there is a warning that this thread has been is four months un-visited.  Again, I need to figure out how I do that.

Manx

« Reply #4 on: 22:11:27, 15/05/16 »
Hi fortescue 38, ignore the outdated warning, its always best to keep related data in one main thread to prevent multiples and repeats of the same subject (in my humble opinion) - the web page data on older threads will still show on a google search.

Bella Vista was on Bury new Road at the junction with Broom Lane.

A Google-maps search in satellite mode will show the original gate posts still standing and Broom Lane junction a short distance away.

fortescue38

« Reply #5 on: 08:36:40, 16/05/16 »
Many thanks, Manx.  i'll have a look next time I'm round there.  I'll heed your comments about postings on old threads in the future, but yesterday I persevered for ages to scan my postcard in order to attach it to a new thread, and I'm not going to move it after all that effort!  I did a high-quality scan, only to find it exceeded the KB limit, so I downgraded, and downgraded, and downgraded.....!

Manx

« Reply #6 on: 09:47:12, 16/05/16 »
Many old pics are inherently of good quality but can become watered down to an unacceptible level of clarity when reduced and if so it might be better to host the shot/s on a website and obtain the unique 'url' ID (Uniform Resource locator) which can then be added to your posts or emails etc'  (but be aware of ads) the 'direct' links seem o.k.

Photobucket and flickr are popular but i prefer free host such as http://imgsafe.org/ - no nonsense and permanent (and no sign up if preferred)

I like to resize overly large images to 800 x 600 pixels or thereabouts which is less than full page and looks presentable.

Good luck

George waywell

« Reply #7 on: 00:34:22, 12/02/18 »
Bella vista, my grandad George Waywell was the house keeper at this place when it was The Greek consulate . M fathe who was a child at the time and lived there told me of the big staicase and the ghosts, and one room that their dog Nell would not go into. You can get me on

EPJ

« Reply #8 on: 10:33:48, 16/05/18 »
I've recently found evidence that my mother taught at Bella Vista, probably sometime between 1928 ~ 1932. Her name was E.P.Jenkins and her subject was Domestic Science. Does anyone know if any staff records exist?

Thank you in anticipation,

Owain Evans.

epiphone1

« Reply #9 on: 20:59:34, 21/07/19 »
Hi Migky, is there any way I can see these photos that you posted, seems to be 4?? Of Bella Vista House, my mother in law went to the High school in the 1940s manybthanks

barbara jones

« Reply #10 on: 12:03:27, 02/12/19 »
I went to Bella Vista in 1963 and would love to see any photo's please but can't find any, I have very little memory of the school now due to suffering a stroke but remember the Bond triplets and Mr Holmes the french teacher, hoping more comes back seeing pics, fingers crossed :)