Author Topic: How to fix a slow computer  (Read 5121 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
How to fix a slow computer
« on: 08:59:51, 08/09/15 »
http://speedfixtool.com/lp900/uk/la2-2-freescanms-6.html?geo=us&adid=3-1&utm_term=5355705&adtitle=43902712

Your computer is designed to fail. Some people are upset when they learn this. But the reality is that PC makers and software companies need a reason to keep people buying upgrades every year. They’re in the business of making money.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: How to fix a slow computer
« Reply #1 on: 09:01:58, 08/09/15 »
No wonder my letter keys fall off!
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

shapedinlet

« Reply #2 on: 21:24:41, 08/09/15 »
Personally I wouldn't bother using such 3rd party tools or utilities, most of them carry things like malware, adware or even viruses and even the ones that are more genuine still cause more problems than they solve.

It's better to give you PC a full spring clean, maybe every 1 or 2 years.  Just using the built in Windows backup tool to backup all of your important data to an external device with an  adequate capacity and then completely formatting your PC's hard drive and re-installing Windows and all of your programs from scratch is the only way to do the job right first time every time.  This process will also rid your PC of any nasty viruses that may be residing on it far better than any virus scanning software could hope to imagine.

kipper

« Reply #3 on: 09:12:46, 09/09/15 »
Personally I wouldn't bother using such 3rd party tools or utilities, most of them carry things like malware, adware or even viruses and even the ones that are more genuine still cause more problems than they solve.

It's better to give you PC a full spring clean, maybe every 1 or 2 years.  Just using the built in Windows backup tool to backup all of your important data to an external device with an  adequate capacity and then completely formatting your PC's hard drive and re-installing Windows and all of your programs from scratch is the only way to do the job right first time every time.  This process will also rid your PC of any nasty viruses that may be residing on it far better than any virus scanning software could hope to imagine.

that is the best way and only way to go it might take an hour or so to reinstall but once its done you will see the benefits  and only put on the things you need if you do not use the software do not put it on your computer    one more thing that helps partition your hard dive and  put windows back up to that partition 

mel the bell

« Reply #4 on: 22:26:10, 11/08/16 »

OR if you dont want to start from scratch

full spring clean

remove tempory files, old file links, cookies etc using crap cleaner
defrag your drives if on older windows systems.
go start / run / msconfig/startup and remove anything from running at startup that you dont need to run at start up.
Scan with upto date antivirus / anti malware

You sir, are a buffoon

lozflan

« Reply #5 on: 08:14:59, 12/08/16 »
How do you know its the PC and not the broadband ? When the kids are off school, my speed check can be at zero.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

mel the bell

« Reply #6 on: 22:05:26, 12/08/16 »
How do you know its the PC and not the broadband ? When the kids are off school, my speed check can be at zero.
erm try something offline and something online?
somethings you know roughly how fast they should be?

get a broadband check?
You sir, are a buffoon

lozflan

« Reply #7 on: 14:02:26, 13/08/16 »
Thanks Mel, it is usually just the Forum thats slow or freeze and when checked, Forum set up gets the blame.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

mel the bell

« Reply #8 on: 18:09:53, 13/08/16 »
if i have an issue with a certain site then normally id fire up a "normal" site such as the BBC site, one i use often and know how it normally works
You sir, are a buffoon