Author Topic: Buying a laptop suggestion As to the best for £400  (Read 2330 times)

looter

My laptop is an old Sony had it since 2008. It gave up working this week so I am looking for a replacent.
I have £400 to spend can any one recommend or tell me what is the best and what to avoid? I need it for Facebook and doing video editing with Sony movie maker.

shapedinlet

Re: Buying a laptop suggestion As to the best for £400
« Reply #1 on: 20:51:33, 15/09/15 »
Hi looter,

As far as Facebook goes, just pick any laptop that takes your liking.

As for Video editing a £400 budget isn't really going to get you much, you would be better buying a desktop which would allow you to have a better and more powerful video editing machine.

The main things to look out for is that you want one with as good a battery as possible in a laptop that stays as cool as possible even when being pushed to its limits, with as big and as nice a screen as you can find.  Ideally it'll need to have a dedicated graphics card, with as much RAM, storage & CPU power as you can find.

Generally any laptop will allow you to do video editing, but unfortunately not very well as it's a very processor and memory hungry thing and most laptops just don't have the hardware to provide a decent experience, unless you spend crazy amounts of money of course.  So just get the most powerful one that you can find for your money.

I'm sorry I can't be of much more help than that.

looter

« Reply #2 on: 22:51:08, 17/09/15 »
I've seen a few acres that look good , are they. And thank you for the reply shapedinlet

shapedinlet

« Reply #3 on: 07:20:22, 18/09/15 »
I'm not really all that sure to be honest, Acer is a decent brand I'm sure, but I'm more into building my own PC using components that I normally pick for myself rather than going for ready to use products.

There are some companies that can build a laptop to order for you as well, using components that you choose from their current list of them and they're generally slightly cheaper in most cases than buying a branded laptop, but you have to know what you're doing, although they do sometimes provide various ready made custom choices to better guide you.

The laptops that interest me the most are the Dell Alienware ones, they would definitely do the job for you, but unfortunately they're way too overpriced starting at £800 and above.

You could potentially create a custom made one using a made to order laptop company and save maybe a couple of hundred pounds and have a laptop just as good if not better, but still a bit out of your range really.

If you're going for a branded one, just ensure it is from a proper recognised company, such as Acer as there are quite a few lesser known brands out there such as the ones sold by places like Aldi, they may be good, I'm not saying they're not, but I wouldn't want to find out if they weren't.

Good luck with finding something that suits your needs and that ends up doing the job.