Author Topic: Boys Brigade company's in Manchester circa 1960  (Read 9442 times)

Derek Gehan

Re: Boys Brigade company's in Manchester circa 1960
« Reply #15 on: 10:22:48, 15/11/17 »
Memories of the 37th.I am Barbara Hill sister of Roy and Sam who were at St Saviours in the 50/60s.Great to see all the names mentioned .Have been in touch with a few of them.

manChester46

« Reply #16 on: 10:38:50, 16/11/17 »
Hello Barbara

It was so encouraging to read your recent post. I remember both of your brothers, Sam was in the Life boys when I joined the  37th company and Roy was just about to leave school, I think he started an apprenticeship at Metrovics (later AEI). I seem to remember that you lived at the side of the Shakespeare Street nursery, which I attended until I was 5.

I left Manchester circa 1961-2 and l lost touch of all of my pals, considering I only moved to a Manchester council house in Cheadle (approx. 6 miles away) it was a disaster that I should never hear of or see anyone again.
I then also started an engineering apprenticeship at the Lancashire Dynamo on Trafford Road, but only stayed for 2 years as travel from Cheadle was a nightmare.
I have now been retired since 2011 and have 3 grandchildren (6,10,13 who keep me pretty busy!)

Kind Regards

Please keep in touch
Geoff (Williams)

Derek Gehan

« Reply #17 on: 13:53:03, 18/11/17 »
Well can give you an update on who I am in touch with.Ken Blenkinsopp in Denton. Ronnie Porter, Tony Prior,John Herbertson. Roy lives in Kent. He moved to London and later years became a Probation officer. married with two children .Sam lives in Hampshire, married with two daughters and two grandchildren. I can tell you more. can I have your e mail so we can talk offline?  I live in South Wales.

manChester46

« Reply #18 on: 20:38:09, 20/11/17 »
Hello again
So surprised that Ken Blenkinsop is still around, he must be nearly 80 by now. When I was about 14 he took Ian Cartwright and me hiking to Millers Dale in the Peak District having first got the train to  Buxton from Manchester Central Station (later to become G-Mex). He was a Butcher at Dewhursts on Alexander Road the last time I saw him (circa 1962) . I  have no idea what Tony Pryor did after leaving school. The other two people that you mentioned I can't recollect.
I have some photos of Sam from when we played cricket for the Boys Brigade, they were taken in Birch Fields park, also in the pic is a boy called John (?) Garfield who I think was related to Sam.
I am curious to know why you are referred to as Derek Gehan (tell me to mind my own business if you like). I still live in Stockport where I have been since I got married in 1969.

Geoff

Derek Gehan

« Reply #19 on: 13:28:42, 21/11/17 »

Hi, My husband joined the site as he was from All Saints and went to Cavendish. Yes Gary(Garfield)was my cousin who lived with us at the time as they came over from Ireland. We lived in Hyde Grove. I have contact details for Tony Prior who lives in Stockport .Also Ken Blenkinsopp who married Shiela from St Stephens .Are you on facebook? There is one on with your name  but do not know it is you(wedding photo?).There is a facebook site called Just Chorlton on Medlock (there are several but I like this one)lots of photos and memories I am sure you will enjoy.I have more info if you contact me.

Brian 71 bb

« Reply #20 on: 22:27:33, 25/03/24 »
I i was a member of 71st Company Boys Brigade Oxford Hall Oxford Road Chorlton on Medlock, 1950 / 60
I would love to hear from past members of the Company / Boys brigade