Author Topic: Newton heath  (Read 12587 times)

Tom

Re: Newton heath
« Reply #45 on: 21:23:49, 22/10/19 »
Knew them well , the beautiful co op building is now virtually destroyed just the frontage standing ( just) and has been left in that state for quite a few years ,  wry sad.

ChirpyCheep

« Reply #46 on: 21:07:51, 14/08/20 »
Evans Bellhouse was great for playing hide and seek in and all the other empty buildings!  And Barnes's paper mill near the market,  all those big chains and pulleys. Our zip wires, though well before any of us knew what a zip wire was!

Tom

« Reply #47 on: 22:11:20, 18/08/20 »
Nice to hear about Newton heath. My father worked at Evans Bellhouse during and after the war until the early 60's when he had a serious accident, fortunately recovering. I used to visit the works and had to wait under the clock until 6 when I could go in. We shopped at the coop opposite and then home. From the end of the war the works held a Christmas party for children and staff. Very exciting at a time when food and entertainment were limited and rationing was in force. Of the senior staff there I remember Mr Porkess ,a director, Raymond Moore and Mr Kenneth Ripper the Managing Director. (His nickname amongst the workforce was "Jack ", but we were strictly forbidden from mentioning  that on site!) .Bellhouses also had a site on City Rd in Stretford and were linked to William Kay's in Bolton. Happy memories. Tom.

Parky

« Reply #48 on: 22:56:01, 18/08/20 »
Hi tom my mam used to clean there in the evenings in the early sixties , Fred hall was a driver who every week dropped off  a couple of sacks of off cuts for the coal fire