Author Topic: Newton heath  (Read 24830 times)

Parky

Newton heath
« on: 16:39:01, 13/06/16 »
 does anyone have memories of growing up in Newton heath in the late fifties and sixties

pbhead

Re: Newton heath
« Reply #1 on: 16:39:37, 29/07/16 »
Yes born in Failsworth in 1936, now living in Canada. Dad was engine driver at Newton Heath sheds.

Peter Evans

GORDON WOODS

« Reply #2 on: 23:27:24, 10/08/16 »
Born on Surbiton road 1949, then lived on Staplehurst rd  just off ten acres lane for about 20 yrs. Went to Hague st junior , then Ducie Ave high school.

Lots of great memories as a kid, from riding the carts on the claypits behind Jacksons brickworks, to Saturdays at the Magnet cinema.

Have been living in the US since 1995, but My brother still lives in Failsworth on Ashton Rd east.

GORDON WOODS

« Reply #3 on: 23:38:09, 10/08/16 »
Just remembered the rag and bone man named Jim !   he pushed that great big 2 wheeled cart around Newton Heath for years . I think he blew a trumpet, and shouted " any kind of rags..... homp  !!! "   or something similar. He was a geat guy, and always friendly to us kids. All he gave for your junk was a donkey stone.

Parky

« Reply #4 on: 06:48:59, 11/08/16 »
Hi Gordon good to hear from you , my grandma and grandad lived at 10 surbiton rd,, yes Jimmy ragbone was indeed a kind man ,I was born in 1954 and lived on Scotland hall rd till I was 21,Newton Heath was a great place to grow up in those days full employment ,quite a few factory's locally, old church st a proper shopping centre and two cinemas ,my primary school was briscoe lane,my sister Carole simmonds born 1948 went to briscoe lane then brookdale park ,
« Last Edit: 06:52:18, 11/08/16 by Parky »

Parky

« Reply #5 on: 12:29:12, 11/08/16 »
Just a follow on to my previous post,  old church st was a proper shopping area. The shops I remember were Dorothy coe's toy shop an alladins cave for fun,Flanagans pet shop I think mr flanagan knew more about animals than a vet,fletchers record shop , wheelers the cycle shop(true), the little sports shop ran by two brothers, the two cinemas magnet and the pavilion, and of course the big coop on the corner where you got your mams divi it was a beautiful building now sadly in decline, and many more, then we had the market, and of course many shops on Oldham rd

GORDON WOODS

« Reply #6 on: 16:38:17, 11/08/16 »
Hi Parky.

Our old neighbor Bernard Conway had a barbers shop on Scotland hall rd for years . My grandparents were at number 10 Surbiton rd I think, as you came down the street, it was right at the bottom on the left corner. There was a little cut through on the right that brought you to out behind the small tiled co-op building that was managed by walter and a couple of women . Did you ever play on the claypits, and jump of of the dreaded "camels hump " into the sand below ? cant believe were still in one piece after all the stupid things we did ( crossing the locks on the canal springs to mind !! ) .  The only bit of infamy was knowing Trevor Hardy, who killed that girl and buried her behind Tootal's . From what I hear these days, Scotland Hall Rd is almost a no go area for the police ,....how things change .

Parky

« Reply #7 on: 17:12:13, 11/08/16 »
Hi Gordon I thought it was John Conway who had the barbers and before him Albert walsh,I didn't play on the claypits preferring the"hollers" behind Scotland hall rd where the tower blocks now are, built in 68, I did cross the canal locks and fell in, my mam went mad(like I did it on purpose ),by the way what were your grandparents surname? Because my grandparents lived at number 10 or 12 surbiton rd
« Last Edit: 17:48:58, 11/08/16 by Parky »

GORDON WOODS

« Reply #8 on: 18:06:05, 11/08/16 »
Yeh,...your right  it was John Conway, they lived on the corner of Staplehurst and ten acres lane, and I remember they had the first garage built in the area,...there house was always a bit "posh", with wrought iron gates etc.  My grandparents were called  Harry & Hilda Lane, and  before then , they lived in those original prefabs  which were up near church st maybe ?
Where did you work ?

Parky

« Reply #9 on: 18:17:46, 11/08/16 »
I worked in gorton at long and Crawford engineers for twenty years, by coincidence my mam and dad started married life in one of those prefabs when he was demobbed from the raf,when I got married we lived on Mitchell st then moved to Droylsden, church st is now a mess let down over the years by underfunding by the council whereas areas on the south side have been rebuilt . But I'm always proud to say that I'm from Newton Heath,

ramo

« Reply #10 on: 12:32:45, 04/06/17 »
Hi all born in 1951 regent street ,my wife was born in the prefabs off culcheth lane played a lot in Gaskell st park and brookdale park

David d Gribben

« Reply #11 on: 20:13:18, 04/06/17 »

Anyone remember Mike Smith or Ray (Sugar) Moscrop.

Parky

« Reply #12 on: 20:27:34, 04/06/17 »
Have you anymore info on them david ,where they lived ,how old ,schools they went to etc.

David d Gribben

« Reply #13 on: 10:10:05, 05/06/17 »
Hi Parky I am going back to the sixties, they both lived in the Ascot Rd area, Mike went to the Local Catholic School.

beanie

« Reply #14 on: 22:01:21, 08/11/17 »
Sounds like a lot of old memories! Is Newton Heath still a nice place to live would people say :-)
Kind Regards,

Beanie.