Author Topic: Newton heath  (Read 24838 times)

GORDON WOODS

Re: Newton heath
« Reply #30 on: 19:51:32, 01/12/17 »
Yes , UCLA was the dry cleaners, they were in between the Magnet and Pavillion cinemas on the opposite side of the road.

I also remember the clayton "Wars "  although it was mostly chucking stones at each other across clayton vale  ;)

We used to play snooker on Friday evenings at the little clubhouse at Tootal's factory on Ten Acres lane .

Parky

« Reply #31 on: 20:09:43, 01/12/17 »
Yes , UCLA was the dry cleaners, they were in between the Magnet and Pavillion cinemas on the opposite side of the road.

I also remember the clayton "Wars "  although it was mostly chucking stones at each other across clayton vale  ;)

We used to play snooker on Friday evenings at the little clubhouse at Tootal's factory on Ten Acres lane .
hi Gordon ,was there another dry cleaners on the same side but just past the bridge.and if you walked past you got a blast of cleaning fluid up your nose
« Last Edit: 20:43:19, 01/12/17 by Parky »

GORDON WOODS

« Reply #32 on: 21:31:10, 01/12/17 »
Hi Parky

Not sure about that, but I do seem to remember a tripe works in the vicinity ? and a little cobblers right on the hump of the hill going up church street from the Magnet, I used to get the cork studs in my football boots changed there  :)

Parky

« Reply #33 on: 22:14:56, 01/12/17 »
Yes the tripe works was on orford rd off briscoe lane the building is now a garage, the cobblers/sports shop on the bridge was run by two brothers.

pbhead

« Reply #34 on: 12:48:41, 04/10/19 »
I remember hanging out at the cleaners and asking American military men if they had any gum. Used to collect all the different US badges.

anglo1

« Reply #35 on: 22:56:34, 15/10/19 »
I lived in longsight but went on the 53 bus to Newton Heath Tech on Hague Street off Oldham Road about two stops or three from the 53 bus route .
A few other boys from longsight went too and we had a good time there. Played on the cricket and football teams. Happy days, does anyone on here know anyone that went there? I live overseas now but sadly like most things in Manchester, the school long ago knocked down.

Parky

« Reply #36 on: 07:09:23, 16/10/19 »
Good morning Anglo , I went to newton heath tech for a short period in 1966 , when did you go there ?

Tom

« Reply #37 on: 01:34:02, 22/10/19 »
Any one remember Evans Bellhouse timber firm on Reliance st . or the co-op opposite? Tom.

Parky

« Reply #38 on: 06:36:09, 22/10/19 »
Knew them well , the beautiful co op building is now virtually destroyed just the frontage standing ( just) and has been left in that state for quite a few years ,  wry sad.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #39 on: 08:58:08, 22/10/19 »
The Co-op building is being redeveloped, the lovely facade of that original building will remain and within it there are plans to build a glass monstrosity, pretty much like what is being thrown up in the City centre, it will become apartments, complete with gym facilities for use by the occupants, and a concierge etc., it doesn't look like it's designed for your average Newton Heathen, I fancy that they'll have a hefty price tag.
  Work is ongoing and the old building is scaffolded at the moment, probably work is being carried out to strengthen the original structure before construction of the glass boxes.

Parky

« Reply #40 on: 11:46:03, 22/10/19 »
Scl , that was the plan but someone ( allegedly) has run off with the money , eventually that frontage will have to come down because it will be unstable if not now in the near future , I realise you live in the area but I go pass every day and nobody is ever on site .

St Chads Lad

« Reply #41 on: 11:53:36, 22/10/19 »
 ;D  Didn't know that Parky thanks for the update, however isn't that structure listed? If so can they destroy it?

Parky

« Reply #42 on: 13:01:23, 22/10/19 »
;D  Didn't know that Parky thanks for the update, however isn't that structure listed? If so can they destroy it?
Yes it is listed ,one of the conditions for planning approval was to leave the frontage up , but if it becomes unsafe due being left open to the weather for x amount of years then it will have to be pulled down before it falls down due to safety concerns,

St Chads Lad

« Reply #43 on: 13:31:13, 22/10/19 »
 O0 Gotcha, but it would be a pity to demolish such a lovely building, and indeed a landmark.  :-\

Parky

« Reply #44 on: 13:46:48, 22/10/19 »
Yes it would mate ,I remember it in its prime  :'(