Author Topic: "The Court" Ardwick  (Read 10020 times)

memopad

Re: "The Court" Ardwick
« Reply #15 on: 12:26:25, 24/09/16 »
Hi Myrtle - He was the owner of the Court chain of dancing schools and also the author of a book called "Learn to Dance".   If I remember correctly copies of the book were on sale at the reception desk.   I didn't start going to the Ardwick Court until about 1967 so that might have been after you moved on to the Manchester discos.

myrtle

« Reply #16 on: 18:32:40, 24/09/16 »
Hi ....  I probably stopped working/dancing there in 1968 when I was 19 so we may have just overlapped ... from what I remember the teenage dance sessions were on Saturday and Sunday evenings with dance lessons on a Sunday afternoon .... the adults had their dance sessions on other evenings.

We loved it because we danced to the pop music of the day .... quickstep to "You can't hurry love" by the Supremes .... foxtrot to "Something Stupid" by Frank and Nancy Sinatra" and waltz to "Last Waltz" by Englebert Humperdink, etc.     

memopad

« Reply #17 on: 11:32:51, 25/09/16 »
I used to have a lesson early on Saturday evening and then stay for the dance afterwards.   I remember the last waltz being the highlight of the night.   Engelbert's "Last Waltz" always was (and still is) one of my favourite songs.

Sleer

« Reply #18 on: 23:59:12, 28/08/18 »
I remember it...there was a whole dancing school i remember pam and larry the managers who were husband and wife....later teachers included Tony, David, Sheila, Linda Bernadette and Jean ..oh and the resident cat Cha cha....happy days

Lesley Keen

« Reply #19 on: 18:36:07, 12/06/22 »
Hello there - Yes I used to go to the court in 1966/67 - Met a few different people and had a couple of Boyfriends and then met my Husband there in 67  :smitten: - we went there and other dance Halls Bellevue Elizabethan and the Ritz and even went to Blackpool Tower Ballroom  - and in1970 got Married and have now been Married 52 years this year  and still Happy - and in love - couldn't have found any one Kinder and More Loving - But for the Court we may never have met - Thank you court School Of Dance lots of lovely Memories !  Lesley  Keen 

yarg100

« Reply #20 on: 09:46:58, 14/06/22 »
i always thought it was downstairs with a bar to the left and ballroom to the right. remember going in there in the late 70's on weekends, everytime i hear contact by Edwin Starr it makes my skin craw at the thought of it  ;D