Author Topic: Grafton Street manchester  (Read 2717 times)

mags7

Grafton Street manchester
« on: 22:30:07, 12/08/16 »
today  I went on  old ground  I went to  thei manchester  royal hospital  to a clinic , I was  amazed  how it had  changed  from  50 years ago  I went  back  in time to when I was a  little  girl liveing  on the road  ,and remember  playing  out  on thei cobbled  road and  street it was very  happy  times, and   looked  across the road   where   my  nans house    once stood is  now a  bus stop  I remember   the girl  who  I played  out  with  Marion mulvey,  I remember  when  they road  was  buzzing  with  people  now  it is busy with  traffic  coming  and  going  it was a  lovely  street  in their old days  I wish  that  I could  turn  the  clock  back    dose  eany one remember the  rag and  bone man when he gave you a balloon  for some old rags.I looked  across to the  old entrance  where  I was once  admitted  for taking  my  nans tablets ,it seemed to  look smaller  to me compared to the  building  now I was happy to  be  there  but  sad at the  same  time  it seems  only  yesterday  to  me  that I went to the  holyname church  and  school  and it is  half  a century  ago how  time flies by.

manChester46

Re: Grafton Street manchester
« Reply #1 on: 16:33:42, 20/11/17 »
I also went to the Holy Name school but it was on Dover St. and was co-ed until you were 11 then boys went into the upper classes and girls must have gone to Burlington St? The convent on Dover St. was used for school dinners and the gardens had Statues.

The trouble is as girls change their surname when married it becomes very difficult to trace their origins.

My playing areas were: Upper Brook St, Brunswick St, Clifford St, Booth St, Grafton St, Plymouth Grove, Portsmouth St etc.
I lived near the Glass works "Charles Lightfoot" on Upper Brook St

Our Rag and Bone man either gave you a balloon on a cane or a goldfish in a bag!

I have found that everywhere seemed much bigger as a child.

I am 71 now and I can still remember most of my school day pals, but I have trouble remembering what I did yesterday.
Geoff Williams
Ogilvie st,  C-on M (Now living in Stockport

Carol Stewart

« Reply #2 on: 17:42:58, 28/02/18 »
Hi I'm searching for my sister Kay Brennan she was born 1953  and lived at 19 Grafton street Manchester I read you article do you buy any chance know where the house would of been I know Grafton street but only as it is today
Thanks Carol

mags7

« Reply #3 on: 14:04:43, 03/03/18 »
Hi  carol just a quick  note to say that I  lived on grafton street early60s situated on Oxford rd area,  it was very  happy times. then for  me I knew a few  people in the  rd  but I  was a  child of years but through the  years  I visited the  street many times I still remember  what it  looks like  as if it  was  yesterday I will ask my auntie s she may know more than me I will let you know  when  I see her.  From mags.

Carol Stewart

« Reply #4 on: 09:08:27, 27/05/18 »
Hi
I read your article do you remember a Micheal Brennan who was born 1947 went to same school could of lived in grafton street or Westbourne grove mother was Kathleen father Micheal had a sister Kay born 1953
Cheers Carol

Carol Stewart

« Reply #5 on: 13:32:37, 28/05/18 »
Hi
Do you remember a Micheal Brennan from your school he is your age lived around or on grafton street
Cheers Carol