Author Topic: Routes unveiled for Sheffield-Manchester road tunnel plan  (Read 1854 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37116050

Five possible routes for a tunnel between Sheffield and Manchester have been unveiled.

The Department for Transport (DfT) said the tunnel, which would bore through the Peak District, could halve journey times between the two cities.

It described the scheme as "the most ambitious road scheme undertaken in the UK in more than five decades".

The Campaign for Better Transport described the scheme as a "folly" and claimed it would increase pollution.

Bridget Fox, from the group, said: "The enormous sums of money and expertise being spent on this speculative exercise would be better used on proven solutions and improving everyday travel."

The plans would link the M60 motorway east of Manchester to the M1 north of Sheffield.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

lozflan

A blindingly obvious solution to the misery felt by those living with horrendous traffic.
Yet I cant stop laughing at yet another study,[going on for over 60 yrs.] costing more money, added to the millions already spent.
The road may or may not be started in another 10 years.  Do me a favour###.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

lozflan

After a year of silence, plans will be announced in the New Year for the Pennine Tunnel.
Pie in the sky? but IMO the first sensible idea to cross the Pennines that the National Trust may not block.

ExileSteve

It's a pity that all those comic book predictions of yesteryear about what life would be like in the twenty-first century turned out to be a load of old codswallop, because if they were right we would all be buzzing through the air on jet-powered back packs and we wouldn't have to worry about digging a tunnel to Sheffield. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Look everyone, it's late, and I'm only just saying, okay.............?

celeste

• Global Moderator
Jet powered backpacks, what a great idea, I must get that fellow Dyson to make me one O0

ExileSteve

Or Clive Sinclair, perhaps, if he isn't dead yet?

celeste

• Global Moderator
He's still living, I think you should patent that idea Steve ;)

lozflan

Transport for the North aired their views today. Prezza walked out of the meeting saying it is just a fraud, no money no powers.
I dont recall any collapse of the Woodhead Tunnel just the closure of the rail line.