Author Topic: M.U. & D.A. ???  (Read 2976 times)

MancMan56

M.U. & D.A. ???
« on: 17:22:35, 01/09/16 »
Hi

Although I now live in Bedfordshire I was born and brought up in Manchester.

Among the old family jewelery collection I have a gold shield, approximately 2.5cm by 2cm, which is inscribed on the front with HH, my Dad's fathers initials (Harry Hawkes) and on the back with :

M.U. & D.A.
Champions 1905-6
M.P.U.

My own research has failed to throw up any clues as to what "M.U. & D.A" was and the same applies to "M.P.U."

I would be grateful if anyone out there knows what these initials refer to. My enquiries of Manchester Library etc have drawn a blank so I'm hoping a local historian may be able to help.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you can shed some light on exactly what my grandad was a champion of !

With my regards

David

migky

Re: M.U. & D.A. ???
« Reply #1 on: 17:34:19, 02/09/16 »
Hi David & welcome.

Can you tell us what area your G/father lived in back then? What hobbies/past times/ sports did he participate in?
What did his social life revolve around back then?  Even his occupation might give a clue to what the medal was awarded for? Can you post an image of the medal please? You never know when someone pops on here and might recognize it?

If i have the correct family 1911, they are at 55 Hulme Hall Lane,  Miles Platting.
John Hawkes   54
Ada Hawkes   49
Harry Hawkes   23 Clerk Coal Office
Ada Hawkes   17
Hilda Hawkes   15

Maybe it had something to do with Bradford coal Pitt?
You could try the coal mining forum to see if they have any idea, that is if i have the correct chap?
You could also try the people on FaceBook, they have a milesplatting/Collyhurst/Ancoats/ any many other groups that might be able to help you.

Click here for the coal Mining forum

Migky  ;)

I'm a bit like Marmite

MancMan56

« Reply #2 on: 20:52:17, 02/09/16 »
Hi Migky

Many thanks for your thoughtful reply. As I'm new I'd not realised the extra info that would help !!

You have indeed found the family in Miles Platting in 1911. Their life was based around St Luke's Church there and Harry Hawkes, my grandad, was also in the coal trade. He went on to be the manager of the coal depot at the top of Clifton Street on what I think was known as "Tripe Colony", just over the other side of the canal from 55 Hulme Hall Lane where they had previously lived. I suspect he was already working on Clifton Street as the Clerk in 1911.

I know that there was a lot going on around St Luke's, I believe it was more than a church then.  I cannot attach photos as they exceed the size limits for the site.

I'm sorry but I don't have much else to add right now, as the family did move on to a coal yard in Old Trafford, which serviced a lot of Trafford Park Industrial Estate.  I shall try the coal mining forum and also the FB groups you suggest, if I can locate them as I'm not that FB-literate.

Thanks again for the help and that of anyone else who can contribute.

With my regards
David

puggy

« Reply #3 on: 16:04:49, 17/09/16 »
Hi MancMan56,

Found Harry,Annie and Fred on 1939 Register at 147,Trafford Road. Do you already have this info?

MancMan56

« Reply #4 on: 12:32:38, 29/09/16 »
Hi Puggy

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away on holiday.

Thanks for that. I did know of their location in 1939 and I have quite a bit of the family history but I am stumped by this "M.U. & D.A."., as were Manchester Central Library. I was referred to the Uinversity Library but they didn't respond.  I have no idea where to look next.

Thanks & regards

David

puggy

« Reply #5 on: 12:28:26, 12/11/16 »
I read a bit of info regarding ownership of Bradford Colliery a few days ago.

It was bought by "Fine Cotton Spinners and Doublers Association" in 1899.

Just musing over the possibility of say.."Miners Union and Doublers Association"

but then left with " M.P.U."