Author Topic: School friends and neighbours from Cholton on Medlock ( C on M) circa 1951-1960  (Read 7269 times)

manChester46

My name is Geoff Williams and I was born at number 8 Ogilvie Street in 1946. My dad was Harry & my Mam Helen.
 My neighbours at no. 6 were my Grandad Joe Mepham, Nana Maggi and uncle Bob (Francis Robert. Bob was only 20 months older than me so we were like brothers (usually fighting). At the end of our Street was a pub The Queens Arms, also on the corner of Robert St. on the next corner was the off licence "Olives" Butler where I would be sent for 2 ozs of "prem" (luncheon meat) for my dads butties.
My neighbours at no. 10 were Tommy & Nellie Hogg with their kids, Pat, Young Tom (Tucker) and my pal Bernard.
I am not going to mention all my neighbours and pals yet until I see what sort of response I get. As I left the area in 1959/60 I lost touch with most people, I only moved to Cheadle Cheshire but I might as well moved to  the  moon!
Geoff (now 70)-and just about Compus Mentum?

mags7

Hello my name is margaret  Holmes I went to the holyname primary schools in  195 8 to 196o  I am 63  now  I loved my  childhood  we didn't  have  much   but  I was very  happy.  It doesn't  seem  so  long  ago  yet it is, I seem to  allways  be moving  from one place to  another I only remember  a few  things in my life   , such as  julie  barrows  who was  my best friend  at the  time,  there was a  pat king I think  ,  you  mentioned that you  went to  school  with a  john deiainey  I  did  he have a  brother named Peter   and a cousin named winifred  ?  As I went to  dr garrett's memorial  home  for  children  in north  wales  when  I was  between  11 and  14 years old.  And I am trying to trace  them  as at the  time  I loved  meeting  his cousin.  This could be the same  person  I am looking for  only  he called  himself  jackie  when  he was in  burlington street school.   I do  agree with you  that  responses are poor 

manChester46

Hi Margaret
I don't know if it is the same John Delaney but one thing I remembered about him, he had very dry crinkly palms, I realise that this is an unusual observation but that is what I remember most. I didn't know any of his siblings, sorry.

Regards

Geoff

KEITH PARK

Hi Geoff my name is Keith Park I lived in C ON M Same time as you.I lived near HighStreet Baths I dont think we ever met.Cheers

maggi

I remember Jackie Delaney from the Holy Name,

when we were very little, his name used to come up when the girls played a game called
"The Wind , The Win,  The Wind blows high"
Do you remember?

I also remember Miss Fitzpatrick, Miss Slattery, Mrs Glass

mariethomas

Any one remember the Thomas family from no  9  West Grove C on M?
Jim & Hilda, son Howard and daughter Marie.
Jim drove a big box van for a matress manufacturer.

rob

Hi Marie, knew Iris Thomas of west grove, used to come to our house in spring st. Any relation. Rob

mariethomas

Hi Marie, knew Iris Thomas of west grove, used to come to our house in spring st. Any relation. Rob
Hi. Yes Iris and Marie are sisters.
Iris now lives in Flixton and has FIVE grandchildren.
Marie married in1963 and  moved to South Africa in 1982.   
She passed away from cancer in 1995.
The writer (me) is her husband Peter in Johannesburg S A.
I was registered under her name by accident because the first post was asking if anyone remembered her
Iris is on facebook (iris edwards) and email at   [email protected]
Give her a shout. Tell her you spoke to Peter Hayes. I am sure she would love to hear from you.
Marie & I did a lot of our courting around that area and I had to compete with all local guys for her attention.      Regards.

rob

Hi Peter, so sorry to hear about Marie, after you had courted and married and emigrated to South Africa. very sad. I didn't know Marie, but remember the house on west grove where they lived, although don't think I ever went in. It is lovely to hear that Iris is doing well and still in sunny Manchester, and many thanks for the contact address, I will email later. Iris was lovely, friendly and happy.I have asked my younger sister in the past if she had ever had ever seen Iris. Always good to catch up with old friends, I think it is even more exciting, when you live in other countries, as you and I do. I had 2 older sisters, and an older brother, and younger sister and brother, Marie may have been a little bit older than me, and may have known my brother or sisters. I did know a lot of people in the groves. My younger sister rings oz 2 or 3 times a week, and now and again says she met someone who knew me, and tells me there name, usually their married name, or first name, and if a woman, means nothing, as surname has changed. Howard Thomas also sounds familiar to me, played a lot of football, locally, growing up, so possibly may have known him also. My name is Coleman. Did you also grow up locally in C- on -M. I love this forum , I was on Friends Reunited site, and contacted lots of old school friends, but that site has since folded. Anyway many thanks for contact, great , cheers Rob

mariethomas

Hi Rob.  Thanks for the contact. I am sure Iris would love to hear from you.
Howard was a chubby guy and I think his only distinction was falling off a bus platform  orner High St  opposte Blackstock pub and being in hospital.
He was always musical on guitar and singing. Appeated on tv quite often and even now does gigs in G C.
Stage name is PAPA GEE.
wher do you live now?
I was born in St Mary's Whitworth Park and lived in Withinhton. Worked most of my life in proffesional TV and theatre. Worked for Granada,  BBC and over here for SABC , and english company TRILION a part of Tri Lion films.
Tell Iris who told you her address.

PETER  HAYES

mariethomas

Hey Rob sorry.  The email is outdated for Iris. Getting update and will post it to you when available.
Peter  Hayes

rob

Hi Peter, that will be good, I will look forward to catching up with Iris, when you have the email address. I did know Howard,when you said about him, great that he did well in his music and appeared on tv also. Not sure what GC is. I used to play football for a Withington team when I was about 16, I think. Used to go there, in my early 20's I think also to a little pub called The Old House? lot of student or uni people? Really good atmosphere. You yourself have had a very interesting and busy life by the sound of it, in the TV and Film industry .You  obviously are settled in SA. I now live in Perth Western Australia, came here in 1974 with my wife and 2 daughters, I was a baker, after apprentice at local Tip Top Bakery. Around the corner from west grove. Didn't stay in Bakery industry after arriving in oz ,worked in food, also on gas platform offshore, , also worked for myself was  a cake decorator, weddings , Ninja turtles Thomas Tank, you name it I probably made it. etc etc. Quite varied really but always enjoyed what I was doing. Came back for a holiday for 4 months in 87, and said I would be back within 3 years, but here I am 30 years later, and not been back. All of my brothers and sisters have been over regularly over the years, and my mother and father emigrated a few years after we first arrived, and unfortunately my father died, within a couple of years. I am now retired, and love Australia, the weather, love the outback, and have been hobby metal detecting since the 80's looking for gold, not found much, little pieces,but always enjoyed being out there and my family loved it too. My wife and I still go once or twice a year with friends. My younger brother Ron also followed us out in his early 20's, and now we have quite a number of relations , since we began as just us. Also my primary school, and lifelong  friend John and his family came over, and he loves the life, and goes bush also with us. Well that's my life story Ha, thanks for contact, Cheers Rob

mariethomas

Hi Rob. Very interesting story.
I married Iris OLDER sister in 63.  She passed away in 95 after 34 years of marriage.   I remarried in 97 to a Mauritian Indian woman from Durban. Now married 20 years 2nd time. She is 71 last Aug I am 77.
Sending pic seperately.      What is your surname?
PETER HAYES

rob

Hi Peter, Good that you found love a 2nd time around. Hope you are well and happy. I did put on earlier post, my surname Coleman. I am nearly 71. Been married 50 years now. These numbers are getting very High Ha. :)

mariethomas

Hi Rob,   pic from last month her birthday
Peter