Author Topic: Pubs on Ashton New Road  (Read 8501 times)

Stan

Pubs on Ashton New Road
« on: 17:09:55, 28/09/16 »
I have spent a number of years searching for the name of a pub on Ashton New Road. My best friend Edwin Walker used to have a party piece where he named every pub on the length of Ashton New Road and I would love to be able to repeat this and believe that I am one missing.
The one I am looking for was in the middle of a block directly opposite the old billiard hall which later became a clothing factory. It was covered in green tiles and when I was first aware of it in the mid fifties it was already closed. Although it was not far from Dean and Woods it's neither the bricklayer nor the Little Bradford.
If anyone out there knows the name I'm looking for I'd be pleased to hear from you. If you can come up with the missing answer I'd be happy to donate a sum to a charity of your choice too.
Fingers crossed!

Parky

Re: Pubs on Ashton New Road
« Reply #1 on: 10:20:59, 29/09/16 »
Hi Stan ,can you give me more info i.e. Whereabouts roughly on the new road would it have been today, I'll ask a couple of "old hands " tonight.

Manx

« Reply #2 on: 11:21:50, 29/09/16 »
I don't have the answer as such but may go a bit deeper if required (database check) but for now in no particular order and spread along Ashton New Road from the Droylesden boundary down to the Don cinema from the 1950's, a list of pubs to check and reference for others. There may even be a couple not on the list.

New Inn
Bradford Arms
Church Inn
Commercial Inn
Cricketers Rest
The Derby
The Greens Arms
The Jolly Carter
Sir Humprey Cheetham Hotel
Mosley Hotel
New Inn
Bull's Head
Bridge Inn
Clayton Arms
Grove Inn
Bricklayers Arms
The United
Woodman Inn
Albert Hotel
Flower Pot Inn
Colliers Arms

Adsum

« Reply #3 on: 14:04:20, 29/09/16 »
Check out the Colliers arms in this video? It's at 1 minute 27 seconds. It could be your answer.

https://youtu.be/Hg7hHwcuV5Y
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Stan

« Reply #4 on: 14:20:31, 29/09/16 »
Thanks Parky. It was definitely between Bank Street and Manchester on the right going into Manchester. If you went under the bridge near the bricklayers it was on the right about a hundred yards along.

Parky

« Reply #5 on: 09:45:59, 30/09/16 »
Hi Stan ,I talked to a couple of blokes last night and the only pub they came up with which wasn't on Manx's list was the Albion . Hope that helps.

Stan

« Reply #6 on: 16:07:20, 26/01/17 »
It's been a while since I started this thread  and some one has suggested the missing pub could be The Ship. I can't find any reference to it so if anyone can shed light on it I'd love to know

Manx

« Reply #7 on: 00:10:31, 27/01/17 »
I doubt this was the pub as it was two blocks further away from location described. 1963.

the 'Wellington Inn' corner of Ashton New Road and Queen Street,

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=41170&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=13118

All searches for 'ship' in that area via pub database had no result.

Stan

« Reply #8 on: 14:40:02, 27/01/17 »
Hi Manx
The pub would have been empty and was derelict from the mid fifties. I used to pass it when I was a kid and for most of the time I remember it was closed. I'll keep coming back if I get any more clues.
Thanks for trying

Stan

« Reply #9 on: 21:50:28, 01/03/17 »
I have a more accurate location for the missing pub. It was on the corner of Gibbon Street and Ashton New Road. I've seen an aerial photo that shows what could be a pub but it isn't clear enough to see a name.

David d Gribben

« Reply #10 on: 19:02:32, 02/03/17 »

Could have been the little Bradford.

David d Gribben

« Reply #11 on: 19:05:44, 02/03/17 »
Sorry only just seen the post,  not the little Bradford.

David d Gribben

« Reply #12 on: 14:42:26, 03/03/17 »
The next Pub after the Derby was the Bradford Arms, (Little Bradford)  may have changed names later on.

Jane Fulford

« Reply #13 on: 01:12:48, 24/11/19 »
Hi I’m replying but also happy to start new thread..
I think the pub on Ashford New Road is likely to be the Bradford Arms. The clue being the green tiles a classic feature of the Empress Brewery outlets.
Please does anyone have any pics Tx J😀

David d Gribben

« Reply #14 on: 13:15:53, 19/12/19 »
Hi Barbarauncot, I don't understand your post or have I missed something, I don't mean to be rude.