Author Topic: Engineering works? Pottery Lane, Openshaw  (Read 2879 times)

zuludog

Engineering works? Pottery Lane, Openshaw
« on: 15:58:09, 09/03/17 »
When I was a boy I lived in Beswick and went to Central Grammar School for Boys, Gorton. This involved catching a 53 bus down Pottery Lane.
The bus stop was outside a large engineering works on the corner of Ashton Old Road & Pottery Lane, on the Ashton side

I visited last summer, and it had been completely demolished & flattened
Can anyone remember which firm it was, please? I seem to remember that they made diesel engines, but I could be mistaken

Parky

Re: Engineering works? Pottery Lane, Openshaw
« Reply #1 on: 16:33:35, 09/03/17 »
Hi zuludog I worked in that area for twenty years ,Are you thinking of crossleys ?

migky

« Reply #2 on: 17:41:18, 09/03/17 »
Father-in-law worked at Crossley motor s & my wife use to do Saturday morning there cleaning the offices (Just for added spends).

Click here for Crossley motors history

Migky  ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

zuludog

« Reply #3 on: 19:07:49, 09/03/17 »
Yes, thanks. I'm fairly certain now that it was Crossley.
It wasn't that important, but it niggled me that I'd stood outside for probably hundreds of mornings and couldn't remember it

As we know, all that area was involved with engineering. Round the corner on Gorton Lane? there were two pubs; The Bessemer and The Mechanics Arms, but I never managed to call in. I expect they're closed or even demolished now

Your link only refers to the vehicles, but there is an account of the whole company and engine manufacture in Wikipedia
This confirms that Crossley manufactured engines on the Pottery lane site till it closed in 2009
« Last Edit: 19:16:48, 09/03/17 by zuludog »

Parky

« Reply #4 on: 19:32:40, 09/03/17 »
I worked a little further up the road at long and Crawford, I think crossleys produced marine engines as well.

Eyesie

« Reply #5 on: 00:25:05, 13/03/17 »
I worked at Crossleys for just a couple of years, 1978- 1980, before I left to emigrate to California. They made Medium speed diesels, used in Marine and Cogeneration Facilities. It was a nice place to work , but couldn't pass up the opportunity to get some sun.
Zuludog, I too went to Central Grammar for boys from 64-69. It went downhill once it went Comprehensive.

stevethemanc

« Reply #6 on: 00:23:59, 06/06/19 »
It was called Crossley Premier Engines my aunt worked in the offices.
Homesick.......

Eyesie

« Reply #7 on: 04:58:09, 06/06/19 »
It was actually called APE Crossley. They mad diesel engines under licence to a French company.

anglo1

« Reply #8 on: 21:59:30, 10/06/19 »
I think it was Crossley Premier they made engines and I think Locomotives. I worked in shipping industry years ago at Manchester Liners and we moved their cargo to Canada.