Author Topic: Bradford memorial school  (Read 4138 times)

Parky

Bradford memorial school
« on: 16:21:55, 12/03/17 »
hi good folk of the forum, could anyone tell me on what road/ street Bradford memorial school Bradford Manchester was on please.

celeste

• Global Moderator
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

lozflan

Re: Bradford memorial school
« Reply #2 on: 16:47:46, 12/03/17 »
School St ,Billy Piddington [corrie Bill Tarmy] was a pupil.
« Last Edit: 16:55:49, 12/03/17 by lozflan »
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Parky

« Reply #3 on: 17:06:09, 12/03/17 »
Thank you both , O0

Parky

« Reply #4 on: 09:37:14, 13/03/17 »
Hi loz putting this on the forum cos for some reason my iPad is not doing so good on pms, I tried to throw it out of the window but forgot  I live in a tent ;)  re Bradford memorial school my dad and his twin sister both went there before they moved to Newton Heath they were born in 1921 ,my aunty died recently and myself and her daughter were trying to find the exact location I thought it was on mill st but wasn't sure,

lozflan

« Reply #5 on: 13:37:31, 22/03/17 »
After further consultation with the former pupil,She who is NEVER wrong. I must admit to giving duff info.which came from the horses mouth ,so to speak.
On an old map,Bradford Memorial,is boxed by Butterworth, Brookshaw,Howarth and Score Streets.
I was surprised how many other churches and schools were close by, one being St
Bridgid's,which came onto Mill St as did a Unitarian.
This map would have applied in the 20s and 30s but could have been changed later and now are gone forever.
« Last Edit: 13:46:47, 22/03/17 by lozflan »
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Manx

« Reply #6 on: 10:22:15, 27/03/17 »
Photographed from Score Street, an old school on Howarth Street with Brookshaw street in the distance. I can barely remember the place, seems so long ago.

The directions from lozflan confirmed my suspicions of the location.

(1964) shot shows the rear view, can find no other shot of the building front entrance or school yard, probably because it was mostly enclosed by the corporation stone masons yard and the mission church and walls.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=41069&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=13036

(1945) Bomb Maps plan, School Street was indeed off Mill Street yet the tiny entrance near the corner shop was the more adjacent School Street.

https://s2.postimg.org/crcgu5o6x/Image3.jpg

Parky

« Reply #7 on: 10:37:24, 27/03/17 »
Thanks for that Manx my dad lived on birch st just around the corner ,no chance of him wagging it then ;)

LorraineS

« Reply #8 on: 22:49:30, 16/10/17 »
Think it was on Howarth street because my dad lived there and he went to Bradford Memorial across the road, he said