Author Topic: The 'Shah' Indian restaurant -Cateaton Street/Victoria Road?  (Read 1223 times)

Simonsky

I have memories of going, as a 7 or 8 year old (c.1967-8) to an Indian restaurant called the Shah.  This was before curry houses really took off in the 70's and 80's.  i can't quite remember it's location but I'm sort of imagining it to be near the railway bridge not far from the Drive up to what was Exchange Station.  My memory is of a dark, small restaurant.  My dad was keen on Indian food and was quite gastronomically adventurous partly due to his national Service in Malaysia which opening up the world to a Cheetham Hill lad.

I've scoured the Manchester image archives for pictures around Cateaton Street and Victoria Road but no images of the Shah Restaurant are their, perhaps it was slightly further down  Victoria Road.

I remember the staff there were very freindly and always made me and my sister egg and chips because at our tender age we weren't ready for spicy food!  I've lived outside Manchester for many years now but i think the restaurant closed and some years later a Shah Restaurant (maybe called the 'New Shah') opened not far from the original.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has recollections and images.

Thanks.

Simonsky

I should have written 'Victoria Street' rather than Victoria Road-I think the Shah restaurant was on that street going towards the railway bridge before the road became great Ducie Street.

BudWiser

I remember going to the Sha Indian Restaurant in Shude Hill in 1975. I think it later became Central Radio?