Author Topic: Bury North Lib/Dem candidate says vote Labour to defeat Tories  (Read 810 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39885399

A Liberal Democrat candidate has urged supporters to vote for his Labour rival in a bid to defeat the Conservatives in the general election.

Richard Baum has been selected by the Lib Dems as their candidate in highly marginal Bury North seat, on 8 June.

Labour welcomed his words but the Tories said it was part of a plan to "prop-up" Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.

The other candidates are David Nuttall, who won the seat for the Tories in 2010 and Labour's James Frith.

Asked to comment on Mr Baum's move, a national Lib-Dems spokesman said: "We are fighting for every vote to hold back the Tories and their hard Brexit agenda."

'Wasted vote'

Mr Baum told BBC Radio Manchester he would take no part in campaigning in Bury.

"The Liberal Democrats have target seats and that's where the Liberal Democrats will be campaigning," he said.

However, he said: "I think it's important that people can vote for the party they want to vote for."

He added he would "gladly receive" the votes of "dyed-in-the-wool Liberal Democrats".

But he also said: "People have to be careful, because voting Liberal Democrat in a seat in which they have no chance of winning could be seen by many people as a wasted vote."
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
'Tricky Dicky'

Why contest the seat at all then?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Parky

I emailed my prospective labour mp to give my reasons why after a lifetime of voting labour I wouldn't be giving them my vote , the reply I got was a tad patronising and a veiled hint that I was a " right winger" me? ;)  I was also politely told that I should stop getting my untrue information about Corbyn from right wing media , I replied that I got my information from the very left wing BBC. But they seem to have this  Dogma that they are a hundred per cent right and no discussion will be had.

St Chads Lad

I'm proud to say that I've never voted Labour in my life because I've always sensed an unpatriotic and anti British movement within its ranks, I'm not saying that Labour voters share that sentiment but the rise of Corbyn exposes this.