Author Topic: Shirley Baker Exhibition (Old Manchester) Manchester Art Gallery from 19th May  (Read 201 times)

radiogak

Hi Everyone

Hope that it's OK to post this in this in this forum as it relates to Manchester and Salford in the 1960's and 1970's and may be of interest to forum members.

Manchester Art Gallery are staging an exhibition of Shirley Bakers works from tomorrow the 19th of May 2017. There are a number of previously unseen photo's included in the exhibition and there is also an audio guide. I have just been to the preview of the exhibition and it's well worth a visit for anyone who is interested in photo's of Manchester and Salford from the 1960's, 1970's and very early 1980's

http://manchesterartgallery.org/exhibitions-and-events/exhibition/shirley-baker/

For those unfamiliar with Shirley Baker she was born in Kearsal, Salford, and from a young age  took an interest in photography becoming, in later life, a renowned photographer. During the 1960's and 1970's she produced her best known works when, through her photographs, she documented the people, streets and inner city areas of Manchester and Salford before and after the slum clearances. Her photographs are now considered to be iconic and pioneering.

There are numerous webpages dedicated to Shirley Bakers work and Google images provides a selection of her photographs.

Kind regards

Geoff

Hideaway69

Just to add weight to Geoff's post, I too attended the preview and echo his praise of Shirley Bakers work, unmissable and all for free  O0
I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left