Author Topic: Finding my grandfathers grave site  (Read 3392 times)

Kirtley

Finding my grandfathers grave site
« on: 09:46:27, 24/05/17 »
I am coming to Manchester in August to try and find my grandfathers grave.  I am wondering where I can find records of graves in hard copy as I have had no luck searching online.  Do local libraries or council offices hold these records and are they available to be viewed.  Any tips on commencing my would be most welcome and appreciated.

Christina

migky

Re: Finding my grandfathers grave site
« Reply #1 on: 16:37:51, 24/05/17 »
Hi & welcome Christina :)

Can you give us details of your grandfather? Name/date of death, age abode.

First place i would try is central library, they hold old newspapers which may hold his death notice/obituary.
Next i would give Manchester Crematorium a ring, as these days many people are cremated  because it is a little cheaper than a burial.

Did he live & die in the Manchester area? Or was he in one of the surrounding areas i.e. Salford/Stockport/Tameside and so on.

As you say you have tried the online burial site, i'll not post the site.

The more info you give, the better chance we have of helping you.

Migky ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

Kirtley

« Reply #2 on: 22:49:53, 24/05/17 »
Thank-you so much for your reply.  I live in Australia and am visiting Manchester for the first time since my parents emigrated in 1953.

My grandfathers name: James or Giacomo Colella.  I believe he passed away in 1947.  He lived in Stretford and was married to Mary née Sampet.  He was 63 when he passed.  Several years agp I managed to obtain a copy of his death certificate and I am now trying to find his grave so I can visit when we are in Manchester.

Thinking of the wider Manchester community following the recent atrocity.

Kindest regards

christina

daxmor

« Reply #3 on: 01:52:08, 12/06/17 »
I vaguely remember that years ago my mum was trying to find her dads grave in Stretford cemetary, she got in touch with them and they had a log of the graves of people buried there, my grandad died in 1940, so i know it goes back that far at least, i would assume all cemetaries keep such a log.
Live everyday as if it's your last, one day you're gonna be right.

Kirtley

« Reply #4 on: 07:53:54, 16/06/17 »
Thank you so much for the information regarding finding my grandfathers grave in a stretford cemetery.  Every bit of information is most welcome in my quest to find his grave.

Kind regards

Christina

claretwoman

« Reply #5 on: 12:33:23, 03/07/17 »
That sounds like an Italian name to me, if he was a Catholic he might be buried at St Joseph's cemetery Moston

Kirtley

« Reply #6 on: 02:08:14, 05/07/17 »
Hi claret woman. 

Huge thanks for suggesting they I try St Joseph's cemetary at Moston.  I will definitely visit that location.

Kindest regards

Kirtley

claretwoman

« Reply #7 on: 14:35:08, 31/07/18 »
I wonder if you had any luck when you visited Manchester, I saw your family name in the Little Italy Ancoats website, perhaps someone there could have helped.