Author Topic: Are England terrible at penalty shootouts?  (Read 3008 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Are England terrible at penalty shootouts?
« on: 23:53:22, 28/06/17 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40432001

Reality Check verdict: Yes, England are terrible at penalty shootouts, and the senior men's team has the worst record in the world.

England's under-21s lost their European Championship semi-final against Germany on Tuesday, 4-3 on penalties.

It brought back memories of previous penalty defeats by England, which may give the impression that the country is not very good at shootouts.

That impression is confirmed by a look at the data.

England's senior men's team, senior women's team and men's under-21s have a record of won two, lost 12.

Penalty shootouts were introduced in the 1976 European Championships and the 1978 World Cup. But England's men did not take part in one until 1990.

The senior men were knocked out of the World Cups in 1990, 1998 and 2006 on penalties and the European Championships in 1996, 2004 and 2012.

Their only win was against Spain in the quarter-finals of Euro 96, a tournament in which they were beaten on penalties in the semi-finals.

No team has lost more penalty shootouts at World Cups and European Championships than England (Italy have lost the same number, but they've won more).
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Are England terrible at penalty shootouts?
« Reply #1 on: 23:57:04, 28/06/17 »
Do they get enough practice though, should we do away with drawn matches and have penalties instead?

:-\

ExileSteve

« Reply #2 on: 06:32:30, 29/06/17 »

Celeste, at the risk of sounding sexist, that it just SUCH a girlie thing to say!!!!!

Hard-fought draws, especially the grim and dour goalless kind, are as much a part of our national game as the dog burgers and weasel pies that used to be on sale around the terraces of my youth. And the Bovril. Where would we be without being able to watch Accrington draw 0-0 with Lincoln while the January winds whip straight through your soul and slice your body in two? Some traditions can be changed, but definitely NEVER that one!

Good Heavens above!!!!!

Parky

« Reply #3 on: 07:18:34, 29/06/17 »
Mrs parky went to a football match with me  only once .Well would you want  to keep going to football with someone who never stops swearing , gets drunk, wants to kill the ref ,and wants to fight the opposition fans ,well neither do i.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 08:25:47, 29/06/17 »
Celeste, at the risk of sounding sexist, that it just SUCH a girlie thing to say!!!!!

Hard-fought draws, especially the grim and dour goalless kind, are as much a part of our national game as the dog burgers and weasel pies that used to be on sale around the terraces of my youth. And the Bovril. Where would we be without being able to watch Accrington draw 0-0 with Lincoln while the January winds whip straight through your soul and slice your body in two? Some traditions can be changed, but definitely NEVER that one!

Good Heavens above!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Penalties are so exciting though and I recall the Americans complaining that there weren't enough goals in the football game!

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 08:29:02, 29/06/17 »
Mrs parky went to a football match with me  only once .Well would you want  to keep going to football with someone who never stops swearing , gets drunk, wants to kill the ref ,and wants to fight the opposition fans ,well neither do i.

Ooh I never do that, I'm much too girlie  :2funny: ;)

St Chads Lad

« Reply #6 on: 10:37:38, 29/06/17 »
Never watch England they're an embarrassment, Diana Ross would be a better penalty taker. :-[

Parky

« Reply #7 on: 10:44:11, 29/06/17 »
It's funny you should say that about watching  England , I think it might be a northern thing , although I can't speak  for match going city fans , a lot of my mates are reds and they wouldn't open the curtains if England were playing in the back garden , and in some people's eyes they are seen as a southern team

Parky

« Reply #8 on: 13:01:54, 29/06/17 »
Ooh I never do that, I'm much too girlie  :2funny: ;)
the first mrs parky  >:(  divorced me stating that  all my time was taken up with football ,how could she say that when we'd been married for twelve seasons ;)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 13:53:47, 29/06/17 »
It's funny you should say that about watching  England , I think it might be a northern thing , although I can't speak  for match going city fans , a lot of my mates are reds and they wouldn't open the curtains if England were playing in the back garden , and in some people's eyes they are seen as a southern team

I'm sure there are fans who would rather their team won the Premiership than England win the World Cup

St Chads Lad

« Reply #10 on: 15:25:23, 29/06/17 »
Ah the World Cup, every time England qualify for the World Cup the media trot out 1966 and start making racist remarks about opponents particularly the Germans that they would not dream of making against other certain nationalities. The lads that played in '66 played with pride for the shirt that is what made them greats, the changing room smelled of sweat, now it smells of moisturiser and after shave, it's time to move on from 1966, that was a team of giants, this crop are not worthy.