Author Topic: Shelagh Delaney, Salford Author  (Read 1280 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Shelagh Delaney, Salford Author
« Reply #1 on: 18:10:02, 01/09/17 »
Nearly 60 years ago, a play called A Taste Of Honey by an unknown Salford writer put working-class issues centre stage and changed the world of theatre forever. Now, one of Shelagh Delaney's lesser-known works is being revived by people from the streets where she grew up - with the help of her daughter Charlotte.

When Charlotte Delaney was consulted about renaming a Salford tower bock Delaney Heights, she had just one question: "Was it affordable or social because I wouldn't have said yes if it wasn't."

Just like her mum, what matters to working-class people, matters to Charlotte.

Rebranding the former student block after Salford's best-known playwright has set in motion the revival of another of Shelagh Delaney's so-called kitchen-sink dramas.

On 7 September, Sweetly Sings The Donkey - adapted by Charlotte Delaney - will be performed for the first time on stage at Salford's Lowry Theatre.

And, with one exception, all the actors are untrained and from Salford.

Community theatre group MAD Theatre Company has worked with around two dozen residents of Delaney Heights and its sister block Adelphi Court since January, before whittling it down to a cast of eight with ages spanning 14 to 69.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

St Chads Lad

« Reply #2 on: 18:40:03, 01/09/17 »
Taste of Honey, a classic I love that film

Parky

« Reply #3 on: 19:03:33, 01/09/17 »
I love all that type of films from the sixties ,gritty realism