Author Topic: Ducie House  (Read 3167 times)

downunder

Ducie House
« on: 06:48:27, 27/09/17 »
I was wondering if anyone can give me the history of Ducie House. It seems my ancestors lived and died there. Was it a Workhouse or hospital? I would be grateful for any help. :)

migky

Re: Ducie House
« Reply #1 on: 13:33:22, 27/09/17 »
Hi & welcome.

I think you will have to give us more clue on this, like what area in Manchester, what street, when and who was living there.

Migky ;)

I'm a bit like Marmite

ExileSteve

« Reply #2 on: 00:21:21, 03/11/17 »
According to the website for Edwards & Co it is a former petticoat factory. It seems that this company is letting out office space in this building. Perhaps they might have more information? It seems they have a brochure available, which might provide some background or historical details.

ChrisVincent

« Reply #3 on: 22:38:22, 05/09/20 »
There was a Ducie House on the site of Ducie Avenue School in Chorlton on Medlock. This is now Sanctuary House student accommodation accessed from Denmark Road.

ChrisVincent

« Reply #4 on: 23:43:49, 05/09/20 »
Further to my previous post I would be very interested in gaining information on your ancestors. i’m undertaking research into Ducie High School which in all likelihood took it’s name from Ducie House a large Georgian/ Victorian  house with extensive grounds extending into Whitworth Park. The location of Ducie House became the main front playground of Ducie School... I have sketch plan of Ducie House which i think would be of interest to you.