Author Topic: Jodrell Bank and World Heritage status  (Read 1253 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Jodrell Bank and World Heritage status
« on: 09:17:36, 13/10/17 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-41585372

Jodrell Bank Observatory has been selected as the latest UK candidate for World Heritage status.

The site, in Cheshire, is home to the famous Lovell Telescope, which was complete in 1957.

If the bid is successful, it would join the likes of Stonehenge and the Taj Mahal on the Unesco list of "globally important" landmarks.

Prof Teresa Anderson, director of the observatory's Discovery Centre, said it has a "rich scientific heritage".

In pictures: Where are the UK's world heritage sites?

How does a place become a world heritage site?

Thirteen stunning Unesco heritage sites around the world

She described the telescope, which was the largest of its kind when it was built, as "an icon for science".

More than 1,000 places around the world have been granted Unesco World Heritage status.

Currently, 31 sites in the UK and its overseas territories have been awarded the
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

ExileSteve

Re: Jodrell Bank and World Heritage status
« Reply #1 on: 21:23:09, 16/10/17 »
Dear old Sir Bernard. What a magnificent achievement to leave behind in his memory.

And let's not forget his groundbreaking work during the war for the RAF, particularly his discovery of H2S radar. They just don't make them like him anymore.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 22:09:29, 16/10/17 »
I intend visiting Jodrell Bank and the Anderton Boat Lift in the near future O0
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

ExileSteve

« Reply #3 on: 23:09:15, 16/10/17 »
We'll be coming up to God's Own City in November, and we're planning to visit Jodrell Bank. Rachel has never been there, and I'm wondering what Aliyah (our three-year-old) will make of it!

jam

« Reply #4 on: 20:57:34, 26/12/17 »
I intend visiting Jodrell Bank and the Anderton Boat Lift in the near future O0
I would recommend visits to both of those attractions.

Jodrell Bank has a unique visitor centre with plenty to hold attention and science in a fun way. Lovely reasonable priced visitor cafe as well.

Anderton lift is another must for all ages. A unique vistor centre, a cracking cafe at prices that won't hurt the wallet and visitor boat trips up and down the lift. Large car park next door and some lovely canal and riverside walks.

lozflan

« Reply #5 on: 09:54:41, 27/12/17 »
Best of it is taking a pic. of the Dish then put it on your startup screen and see it every day.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason