Author Topic: Chorlton on medlock  (Read 9260 times)

Carol Stewart

Chorlton on medlock
« on: 21:58:45, 28/10/17 »
Does anyone know of a Westbourne grove  chorlton on medlock Manchester 13  in or around 1957 this is on my birth certificate but shows up no where I've searched maps etc as I was adopted I cannot ask anyone so if there is anyone out there that has any help I would be very grateful
Cheers Carol

Hideaway69

Re: Chorlton on medlock
« Reply #1 on: 22:57:40, 28/10/17 »
Does anyone know of a Westbourne grove  chorlton on medlock Manchester 13  in or around 1957 this is on my birth certificate but shows up no where I've searched maps etc as I was adopted I cannot ask anyone so if there is anyone out there that has any help I would be very grateful
Cheers Carol

There is an entry in the Kelly's Directory 1963 of Westbourne grove, there were 26 properties, all odd numbered, think it was a cul de sac, no indication of where in C-O-M it was situated, will investigate further.

Edit: Westbourne Grove was situated in between Shakespeare Street and Hyde Grove, which was situated between Plymouth Grove and Stockport Road (if that makes sense)
Today I would guess it was close to Beckhampton Close. ps welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: 23:48:30, 28/10/17 by Hideaway69 »
I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left

radiogak

« Reply #2 on: 22:02:59, 31/10/17 »
Hideaway 69 is spot on with the location of Westbourne Grove. I remember it well although it was fairly hidden away and was indeed a cul-de-sac. It was sandwiched between the backs of the large houses (including the dreaded clinic) on Shakespeare Street) and the backs of the houses on Hyde Grove. Westbourne ran parallel to both. Hyde Grove at its top end, turned 90 degrees left and crossed the top of Westbourne Grove and then onto Shakespeare Street. You could get into Westbourne from Plymouth Grove but only via a narrow passageway. The street at the Plymouth Grove end was also obscured fiuther, by large advertising hoardings that ran along Plymouth Grove around the corner and onto Shakespeare Street. We used to rollerskate on the wide pavement in front of the hordings as it was very smooth tarmac unlike the pavements in the rest of the area.

Westbourne as I recollect, was only a narrow street, and was paved across its entire width with York stone paving. It was more of a wide-ish pavement than a defined road. The houses were on one side of the street only and faced the back gardens of the houses on Shakespeare Street. Each of the houses had a small front garden and each was bounded by a small picket style fence. It was one of those odd styled streets that you came across in unlikely places in the old Manchester areas.

As a reference point, on the opposite corner of Shakespeare Street at the junction with Plymouth Grove is the Plymouth Grove Hotel. Although no longer a pub the building still stands, is grade 2 listed, has been renovated and is now a restaurant.
I have checked the City Councils photo archive collection, and although I cant find a photo of Westbourne there is a photo towards the hoardings behind which Westbourne Grove stood This would have been taken from Plymouth Grove with the hotel on the left hand side.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=36894&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=17654

You can see the wide pavement where we used to rollerskate and the chimneys of Wesbourne/ Hyde Grove above and beyond the hoardings.

If you need a map of the area that shows Westbourne Grove this can be found in the Manchester University Collection at the following link. The map is zoom-able and very clear. You will need to look for Shakespeare Street and Plymouth Grove towards the top left of the map.

http://enriqueta.man.ac.uk/luna/servlet/detail/maps002~1~1~342700~123264?sort=Reference_Number%2CReference_Number%2CReference_Number%2CPage&qvq=q:bombs;sort:Reference_Number%2CReference_Number%2CReference_Number%2CPage;lc:Gaskell2~91~1,Manchester~12~12,maps002~1~1,Manchester~11~11,Manchester~91~1,ManchesterDev~95~2,Man4MedievalVC~4~4,nonconform~91~1,ManchesterDev~93~3,lib1~1~1,Manchester~14~14&mi=4&trs=49#

Hope that this helps.

Kind regards
« Last Edit: 22:21:26, 31/10/17 by radiogak »

Carol Stewart

« Reply #3 on: 18:10:38, 03/11/17 »
Hi
Thanks for all replays I was born at 37 Westbourne grove chorlton on medlock anyone know how I can find out who lived there in September 1957 as my mother gave me up for adoption at 10 days old but this address is where I was born thank you for all your help so far
Carol x

Carol Stewart

« Reply #4 on: 18:22:54, 03/11/17 »
Hi does anyone know how I can find out who lived at 37 Westbourne grove chorlton on medlock in August /September 1957
Thanks Carol

Hideaway69

« Reply #5 on: 18:38:33, 03/11/17 »
Hi does anyone know how I can find out who lived at 37 Westbourne grove chorlton on medlock in August /September 1957
Thanks Carol

I would suggest finding a copy of Kelly's/ Slaters Directory for that year and/or possibly 1958, some libraries hold copies and occasionally they appear on ebay.[/size]
I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left

irishgal56

« Reply #6 on: 22:07:32, 03/11/17 »
Hi i lived on Grafton st back in the 60s does anyone remember it loved living there as a child we would all play in street never a worry god i loved those happy days we we rent rich but we were happy

karl byrne

« Reply #7 on: 12:35:03, 10/11/17 »
hi does anyone remember Mornington street from the 1960's I was born at number 45 was near St. Stephen's School and Churchill street and Everton street also Milton street Chorlton-on-Medlock
would love to hear from anyone that lived in this area I was born in 1966 and moved to West Gorton in 1969

Carol Stewart

« Reply #8 on: 18:17:21, 10/11/17 »
Hi does anyone know a Patrick and Nancy coyle from Westbourne grove chorlton on medlock in or around 1960

radiogak

« Reply #9 on: 21:14:57, 12/11/17 »
Hi Carol

If it's of any use to you, I have attached 2 x extracts from Kelly's Directory that shows all the residents of Westbourne Grove, including Patrick Coyle at number 37. I'm sorry but I can't put a date on this edition of Kelly's as it's in a very fragile and frail state. The spine of the Directory and part of the front cover are missing, where the date would have been recorded. It could be any of the years between 1953 and 1963. Apologies that I can't be more precise.

Kind regards
« Last Edit: 21:20:46, 12/11/17 by radiogak »

Carol Stewart

« Reply #10 on: 09:19:16, 27/05/18 »
Hi
Do your ember a Micheal Brennan and Kay Brennan of 39 grafton street
Cheers Carol

migky

« Reply #11 on: 20:49:56, 28/05/18 »

Migky  ;)

I'm a bit like Marmite

johnjo

« Reply #12 on: 20:17:11, 19/11/18 »
Thanks Carol

Hello
I was born at number 35 in 1956 and I remember Paddy and Nancy  when I was growing up.

Carol Stewart

« Reply #13 on: 18:20:44, 20/11/18 »
Hi do you remember Kathleen Brennan she was Nancy friend

johnjo

« Reply #14 on: 19:52:17, 21/11/18 »

hello

Can't remember a Kathleen Brennan