Author Topic: anyone remember the picadilly indian restaurant london rd manchester  (Read 4169 times)

rainow

first went in around 1961,one of the few indian restaurants in manchester at that time,menu contained just a handful of dishes but they were great

Parky

Yes I remember it ,used to go late at night I’ve seen many customers with their faces in their curry’s after having one over the ten ;D

St Chads Lad

Yes we went there a few times in the eighties after a night in town but one day I was on London rd  and  saw the place in daylight, we never went near the place again, having said that I won't eat from those places anymore after seeing a programme about the dubious hygiene in the kitchens in those curry houses

Parky

Yes I give them a swerve nowadays, wasn’t the dolls  hospital further down towards Piccadilly?.

Parky

Yes we went there a few times in the eighties after a night in town but one day I was on London rd  and  saw the place in daylight, we never went near the place again, having said that I won't eat from those places anymore after seeing a programme about the dubious hygiene in the kitchens in those curry houses
plus most if not all serve halal meat

ExileSteve

I never visited the one on London Road, despite going past it millions of times. But the best curry house in Manchester is the Khandoker in Didsbury. End of.

Just my ever-so-humble-opinion, of course! ;)

davo

Me and the lads did the infamous ''runner'' from there. The bloke who owned it also had The Belle Vue Indian on Hyde Road, Gorton. Not the most hygenic of places to eat in times of sobriety but after a skinful - what the hell.
The Doll's Hospital was further down towards the Fire Station if I remember correctly.

Jim44

We used to go in a Chinese restaurant almost opposite the Brunswick pub on Piccadilly. That would be '68. Always found it enjoyable.

The dolls hospital I remember was next to the Imperial hotel, facing the Brunswick, or there abouts.

isabellabanks

Dolls Hospital - a mysterious doorway to the right of the Imperial Hotel. Run by an elderly gentleman stood behind trays and trays of dolls' limbs, eyes, hair...

isabellabanks

Here he is.

GORDON WOODS

Regarding the infamous "runner"  the late great Bernard Manning used to tell of the Irishman in the Indian restaurant who paid for his meal,.. and then ran out without eating it !!  ;D

St Chads Lad

There used to be a restaurant opposite the old Premier picture house on Cheetham Hill Road, called the Darjeeling and there was a guy sat by the door at a till, at the side of him was a ruddy great wooden bolt that shot across the door, and he wouldn't release it until you coughed up for your grub.

ExileSteve

Not a bad idea in Cheetham Hill, unfortunately!