Author Topic: Keith's upper brooke street  (Read 1356 times)

Claire0310

Keith's upper brooke street
« on: 16:55:28, 12/11/17 »
Hi... I'm looking for a photo of Keoghs off sales on upper Brooke st from the 1940' to early 1960's. [size=78%]My great grandfather Joe Keogh had the previously been landlord of the Cheshire Cheese & bought the building. Later my Grandparents  Arthur & Dorothy Smith ran the place as Joe was to old[/size]
[size=78%] I dont' have the address but know it was nearly opposite the Blackstock pub ( which was 71 Upper Brooke st) The streets near were apparently spring  st summer st autumn st.[/size]
People would bring their jugs from home & come in to get their beer from the legs that were in the shop. You could stay & have a drink although it wasn't a pub, I've heard stories that customers would party until all hours.
My father & auntie were both born there. She is 70 next month & I'm desperate to get hold of a photo that I can frame for her.
I would be grateful for any information anyone may have

Thanks Claire Smith :smitten:

Hideaway69

Re: Keith's upper brooke street
« Reply #1 on: 21:44:05, 12/11/17 »
There was a Keogh's Stores (Wines & Spirits) at 310 Upper Brook Street, In between April Street and May Street according to Kelly's Directory 1963, could this be the place ? No photo but you may find one here http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php
I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left

carvil52

« Reply #2 on: 11:17:48, 19/11/17 »
Hi Claire,

I Remember Mr Smith, he was a friend of my uncle Martin Carvil who lived in March Street, he moved in the 1950's to run his own hotel in Sussex, my dad John used to take us see Mr Smith on New Years Day, and he always gave us a new penny, he was a lovely man always smiling. I wish I had some photo's to share.

Anne.

Manx

« Reply #3 on: 16:24:14, 19/11/17 »
Could only find this shop as mentioned by Hideaway69 - a clothes/drapers shop ?

310 Upper Brook Street, "Williams York House" - next but one from April Street (1959)

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=37984&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=18012

There was a wine shop much further up near Lorne Street (followed by January, February, March etc) - it was a Tetley's off licence but would have been about five streets away from the Blackstock.

The Brook Wine Stores, Upper Brook Street (1959) -->

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=37972&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=17999

photo's cost £10.

Claire0310

Re: Keogh wine store upper brooke street
« Reply #4 on: 17:47:58, 20/11/17 »
Hi... I'm looking for a photo of Keoghs off sales on upper Brooke st from the 1950's to early 1960's. My great grandfather Joe Keogh had the previously been landlord of the Cheshire Cheese & bought the building. Later my Grandparents  Arthur & Dorothy Smith ran the place as Joe was to old
The address was 310 upper brooke street. There was also a 310a & 310b
People would bring their jugs from home & come in to get their beer from the legs that were in the shop. You could stay & have a drink although it wasn't a pub, I've heard stories that customers would party until all hours.
 My aunt [size=78%]is 70 next month & I'm desperate to get hold of a photo that I can frame for her. [/size]
I would be grateful for any information anyone may have

Thanks Claire Smith :smitten: