Author Topic: Joey Barton claims '50 percent' of professional footballers bet on matches  (Read 2769 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42783527

Ex-England player Joey Barton claims "50%" of professional footballers bet on matches, and says gambling is "culturally engrained" in the sport.

The former Burnley midfielder, 35, was banned by the Football Association in April 2017 for breaching betting rules.

He was found to have placed 1,260 bets on football matches over 10 years.

"I think if they found out everyone who has been betting and cracked down on it, you'd have half the league out," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"I think 50% of the playing staff would be taken out because it's culturally engrained."

Barton - who also played for Manchester City, QPR, Newcastle, Marseille and Rangers - was fined £30,000 and initially banned for 18 months.

That suspension was later reduced by almost five months after he appealed against its length. He can return to football on 1 June 2018.

Barton, who said he was addicted to gambling, says he placed 15,000 sports bets in 12 years, and admits his addiction is a "constant battle".

Players in England's top eight tiers are banned from betting on football.
« Last Edit: 11:05:34, 23/01/18 by celeste »
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

ExileSteve

In the immortal words of Mandy Rice-Davies, "He would say that, wouldn't he?" ::)

Parky

There are some dodgy  things happening in football,

celeste

• Global Moderator
meaning 'there's dirty work afoot'

:D

Parky

;D  I see what you did there Celeste . Good old Joey Barton didn’t he get sent off at a crucial time when he played for qpr against city a few years back ::)

St Chads Lad

Yes he screwed up at Rangers too

celeste

• Global Moderator
He can talk for England, quite eloquent - I think he played for PSG :-\
expert in Franglais too ;D