Author Topic: Temple Infant School evacuees  (Read 1585 times)

George Skinner

Temple Infant School evacuees
« on: 14:54:37, 05/02/18 »
I live in Lancashire now though worked all my life in Manchester.  I was wondering if anyone on the Forum is old enough to have been part of the group of pupils at Temple Infant School  which was evacuated in 1939 to our local primary school in Belmont? 

les1936

Re: Temple Infant School evacuees
« Reply #1 on: 11:22:12, 23/02/18 »
I was not old enough to have been at Temple School as early as 1939, probably starting in 1940 or1941.

I was evacuated at some stage to Tockholes, which I believe is near Belmont, but I regret I have no further memory ot the village beyond its name.

George Skinner

« Reply #2 on: 16:31:37, 23/02/18 »
Thanks for that. Tockholes is a small village a few miles away from us here in Belmont. I recall reading an account of an evacuee from Manchester who went to Tockholes on the BBC's The People's War site. The large group from Temple School that came here in 1939 seems to have returned when the bombing didn't happen initially but we then  had a few Temple School pupils come here in 1941 as private evacuees after the Christmas blitz of Manchester in 1940. Do you still live in the NW?

les1936

« Reply #3 on: 12:27:35, 07/03/18 »
No.  I moved down to the Midlands in the 1960s for work, but I still have family in the Manchester area and I am still a Lancastrian at heart

George Skinner

« Reply #4 on: 13:49:50, 07/03/18 »
Good for you!

We had quite a few additional pupils privately evacuated in 1941 after the Christmas blitz at Manchester, several of them from Temple School.

Our pupils have made a link with the new Temple School so we hope that this may provide some contacts.

All good wishes,
George