Author Topic: The Dingle Clayton  (Read 4744 times)

ronyrash

The Dingle Clayton
« on: 18:59:37, 06/03/18 »
The Dingle Clayton
                                  Land thru which  the River Medlock meandered, was used as a tip for Slag from Bradford Collery many people would pick thru it to keep their. Fires burning.This was just after the war.Not much money around 'but we did see life.'m m
           Groups of blokes would play Pitch and Toss while Look Outs kept watch.There used to be an Isolation Hospital in the area for victims of contagious deceases.Typhoid
And that kind of stuff.There was a Lime Pit.to dispose of the bodies.
            The red tiled River Medlock was in good nick then.  It flowed thru a tunnel to a wier in Bradford/Beswick where their was another Isolation Hospital a rather grand Mansion now gone.This was in the Muck Yard Brew area known as the 7 Wonders, because the Canal run over the River, and Trains run over the Canal
Out or Nowt? Ready for Out.

Parky

Re: The Dingle Clayton
« Reply #1 on: 19:36:41, 06/03/18 »
Excellent memories my friend ,am I right in thinking on the Newton Heath side was locally known as the “ollers”. I remember the lime pits there . A few years  ago the council in their wisdom and greed sold many of those red tile bricks off for a small fortune citing they “ wanted to take part of the medlock river back to its original natural state” .what a load of Horlicks, the bricks were put there in the first place to make the river run faster and stopping it from overflowing in torrential rain flooding the nearby cemetery , which once was flooded and coffins were washed away,

GORDON WOODS

« Reply #2 on: 19:05:19, 07/03/18 »
 The "red river" as we used to call it in Newton Heath,  ran through Phillips park cemetary, and we used to get to it at the bottom of Ten Acres Lane facing the arches down there, I actually fell in it believe it or not, when I was about ten yrs old, and thank goodness the level was low at the time, as apart from the current, those red tiles were so slippy, it was really hard to get out  my pal Phil England helped me out with a tree branch PHEW ! ,....the stupid things we used to do as kids those days !! 

David d Gribben

« Reply #3 on: 13:53:11, 10/03/18 »

One side of the Red River belonged to the Newtneethers (Local slang) the  otther side the Claytoners, my side, when I was growing up in the Forties, Fifties we called the area where the two Football pitches were the Dingle, and down to the Medlock and as far as Clayton Bridge we called the vale spent  a large part of my growing up along there.

Parky

« Reply #4 on: 15:06:55, 10/03/18 »
One side of the Red River belonged to the Newtneethers (Local slang) the  otther side the Claytoners, my side, when I was growing up in the Forties, Fifties we called the area where the two Football pitches were the Dingle, and down to the Medlock and as far as Clayton Bridge we called the vale spent  a large part of my growing up along there.
and myself david but a bit later , good days O0

David d Gribben

« Reply #5 on: 15:45:04, 10/03/18 »
Good days indeed Parky.

ronyrash

« Reply #6 on: 19:06:57, 24/03/18 »
Parky asks about limepits called the 'ollars' its new to me .maybe its a word coming  from the 'horors'.Anyway I think were talking abouy the same body burning limepits,that were  just by the 'Ten  Arches..
 Gordon  yes  the R ed River banks were very , very slippy.It was a blazing hot day when I chanced the currents.England did his duty.thankfully you got out safety.Not so Tommy one of my young playmates
He fell into the locks at Gray Mare Lane and drowned.We found out about it walking home from Phillips Park,
It was a Sunday morning. At the canal bridge were emergancy vehicles and a frog man.But he was. too late.
There was alot of growing up by the Meddy me thinks!

David d Gribben

« Reply #7 on: 21:03:44, 24/03/18 »
Ronyrash did you ever make Grass Rafts on the Red River you had to get of before they broke up and went under the Tunnel, we used to push the Grass over the wall from the Cemetery and jump on.

Parky

« Reply #8 on: 22:56:26, 24/03/18 »
Parky asks about limepits called the 'ollars' its new to me .maybe its a word coming  from the 'horors'.Anyway I think were talking abouy the same body burning limepits,that were  just by the 'Ten  Arches..
 Gordon  yes  the R ed River banks were very , very slippy.It was a blazing hot day when I chanced the currents.England did his duty.thankfully you got out safety.Not so Tommy one of my young playmates
He fell into the locks at Gray Mare Lane and drowned.We found out about it walking home from Phillips Park,
It was a Sunday morning. At the canal bridge were emergancy vehicles and a frog man.But he was. too late.
There was alot of growing up by the Meddy me thinks!
im beginning to think the word “ollers “ came about when the railway line was laid in the hollows which split Newton heath from Clayton .ollers - hollows. Maybe

ronyrash

« Reply #9 on: 18:24:31, 26/03/18 »
David i wished id known about the cemetery grass.Scarey though,the current could be very fast.Next time im round their ill see if there is any grass. the Ra voyages come to mind.These were grass boats that crossed the Atlantic in the fifties.They were exellent sailing craft and didnt sink if they hit rocks.Sometimes there was a big rope swing at the tunnel entrance.The swing started with a jump off a wall.Took alot of nerve to jump into the very noisy abbys

Parky, hollors and hollows sounds good.

David d Gribben

« Reply #10 on: 21:06:05, 26/03/18 »

I remember the rope swing and all the names written on the tunnel wall.

ronyrash

« Reply #11 on: 18:47:53, 27/03/18 »
Hi David ,
            While were on "swings"did you ever do the Swinging round the lampost thing?a couple of bumps on the head while "Ducking" and yh soon learnt  to be more carefull.The back side was very sore untill yh got used to it.

David d Gribben

« Reply #12 on: 10:17:09, 28/03/18 »

Certainly did Ronyrash, lots of things we did then that they don't do now, I lived on the Clayton Estate so we spent a lot of time on the Coal Tip we used to slide down the Tip on the old conveyor belt from the Bradford Pit, you could get quite a few Kids on a decent piece, on a good run we could reach the Medlock.

lozflan

« Reply #13 on: 11:31:19, 28/03/18 »
Does anyone know the history of what I call the "Red Rec" in Clayton ?
Is there another in Manchester/Salford?
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Parky

« Reply #14 on: 11:41:58, 28/03/18 »
Don’t know the history of Clayton red rec loz, but there was a red rec in Newton Heath and  one in monsall, I’m sure there was many others in Manchester