Author Topic: Canal barrier demo  (Read 1448 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Canal barrier demo
« on: 08:45:28, 28/05/18 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-44274146

Almost 50 people travelled from the North East to Manchester to campaign for canalside barriers after the death of a 19-year-old student.
Charlie Pope's body was found in the canal just off Whitworth Street West on 3 March after he went missing during a night out.
His father Nick Pope said "there's no way of getting out" of the canal.
Family and friends travelled from Charlie's hometown of Ponteland in Northumberland to where he died.
Mr Pope said: "There's no throw lines, there's no rubber rings, there's no way of getting out.

"If there is an incident people can at least try and save themselves, or be saved.
"If out of a tragedy like this something good can come and prevent unnecessary deaths, that would be a result."
Temporary barriers have been installed since Charlie's death.
Manchester Water Safety Partnership said it was looking into what further safety improvements might be needed.

All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Canal barrier demo
« Reply #1 on: 21:32:01, 07/06/18 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-44394535

A stretch of canal towpath is to be closed off at night following the deaths of two teenagers in Manchester.
The body of Orlando Nyero, 19, was found in the Rochdale Canal on Wednesday.  In March student Charlie Pope was found dead in the same place
Authorities will immediately put gates up to seal off parts of the towpath near bars after 22:00, Manchester Water Safety Partnership said.
Charlie's father Nick Pope said "you've got to protect people from themselves".
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Corrupt council

« Reply #2 on: 04:52:10, 09/06/18 »
A young man from boltom named Orlanda has died the first reports are coming in he was last seen at 3.35 last week.
He has been found this morning.

Manchester city COUNCIL and the department for infrastructure should now be charged with man slaughter .How many more are going to DIE before public safety is paramount.

Here's my solution . Drain the [censored]****ing thing . No one uses it other than a few ducks and a holiday barges . Build on it

I'd rather they built a row of man city pitches on it than see another youth killed by the stagnant water of the canal.

ROY.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #3 on: 10:24:06, 09/06/18 »
Yeah that sounds like a good idea 🤪
  You know something , the Rochdale canal runs right past the back of my house and guess what ? Nobody falls in,  is it just possible that overindugence in alcohol could be contributing to the problem and if so then people should treat the area of the canal with more caution,  after all where is personal responsibility?  :-\
     Just sayin

Corrupt council

« Reply #4 on: 20:14:45, 09/06/18 »
After reading your post it makes me think even less of you than I do at the moment.

Personal responsibility?

He was a child you half wit.

Experience life doing what millions of teens do taking a risk drinking a pint or two? Maybe he wasn't even drunk. May he he slipped. You ever thought of that.

The day I sink to your level and make statement about children drowning and it's there responsibility then that's the day I'll jump in the Rochdale canal myself.

Absolutely disgusting statement to make about a dead child.
You should be ashamed.
ROY.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #5 on: 21:29:15, 09/06/18 »
In my comment I asked if it was possible for alcohol to have been a factor, I was referring to previous cases too, I think it was a legitimate question.
   FYI 19 years of age is not a child and your aggressive response is not necessary, I will not respond in kind because I get the impression that's what you want, I was just giving an opinion, I feel no shame whatsoever

paperboy

« Reply #6 on: 03:21:30, 10/06/18 »
Two lads dead...time to blame someone. Time to have your say based on your own particular bias and to reinforce the things you happen to believe in at the moment. Hindsight vision at 20/20, and still loosing sight of what it was to be young and (especially being male) sometimes dumb.

Spotting a comment from someone else that you can get your teeth into and let them know exactly what 'you' think of 'them'. Thank goodness for forums like this, you can confront people from the comfort of your armchair, free from the consequences of doing so face to face. Have your say, spill your guts....let everyone see exactly what you're made of.

Addicted to be right...it's more common than you think. You do think before you type..right? 

Corrupt council

« Reply #7 on: 09:31:27, 10/06/18 »
Time to blame is over paperboy time for action is needed the only people who can do anything about this is the council and the d.f.i

As you will find out this forum in the past has has journalist contact members about the drownings and a c4 documentary about it.

This forum was probably the place it was highlighted first.
No one was taking notice but a few people on here.
That got the attention of the press

The dfi and council have the powers the means and the will of the people to stop this slaughter. As it's now beyond  any reasonable doubt a factor of things that they can do something about.

1 no bars given a licence in the area around the canal.
No evidence that a majority of those drowned were drunk.

2 better barriers as it seems very easy to get into the canal area

3 do we still need a canal going through the center?
Exactly what is is function ? It's a man made waterway it's not a natural waterway so can we just get rid?

4 make it easier to get out of if you fall in. How about making it so the sides have roping or netting to hang on to .

I've not got all the answers  or claim to but I do know if this was happening some where other than Manchester something would be done.

I think my suggestion of filling it in and the council allowing there dubious business partners to build on it may resonate a solution they like ..keeerching

I can guarantee at the rate people are drowning it won't be long before the next kid is dead.

ROY.

paperboy

« Reply #8 on: 13:45:59, 10/06/18 »
It's been my experience that almost all elected leaders (of any persuasion) lead from the rear. That is to say, that for the most part they have little aptitude for leadership, and so react rather than take the initiative. Politics at all levels is a career, not a calling, and as such, individuals have a tendency to act with one (if not both) eyes on 'their' future rather than that of the community they are paid to serve.

I agree with a number of your suggestions around what to do with the canal by the way, given that as things stand now, it is (literally) a death trap. What will be done about it? I suggest very little without a major fuss.   

Corrupt council

« Reply #9 on: 15:00:35, 10/06/18 »
I think a TV documentary and many news paper article has not swayed them.

Only the £££££  will if they think they build on the land.
It's not widely known that leaders of manchester council are exectuvies on a major building investment company that is based in the middle East.

Every rebuild has this firms money I suspect involved . They have made sure the planning department is a shambles

Having said that if you want a ready light railway line or road into the center look no further.
ROY.