Author Topic: Which area in Manchester is known as the student area?  (Read 3042 times)

silohill

my sister is moving there, and i wanted to know which part of manchester is where the students live?

thanks

St Chads Lad

Re: Which area in Manchester is known as the student area?
« Reply #1 on: 19:43:28, 04/06/18 »
A guy I worked with lived in the Fallowfield area which is popular with students, they made the lives of the people around there miserable, all night parties, rubbish scattered around overflowing house bins and general anti social behaviour, in short I would recommend avoid that area for one.

Parky

« Reply #2 on: 21:24:02, 04/06/18 »
Yes indeed a friend of mine sold her large fallowfield house in an hour to someone who was going to turn it into flats for student accommodation. Stay clear unless you’re a student

silohill

« Reply #3 on: 21:42:30, 04/06/18 »
A guy I worked with lived in the Fallowfield area which is popular with students, they made the lives of the people around there miserable, all night parties, rubbish scattered around overflowing house bins and general anti social behaviour, in short I would recommend avoid that area for one.

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that Rusholme was also student area, or am I wrong in thinking that?

St Chads Lad

« Reply #4 on: 21:48:15, 04/06/18 »
Yes Rusholme is also populated by students, it's the adjoining area to Fallowfield.  It's also the home of the "curry mile"

silohill

« Reply #5 on: 22:33:00, 04/06/18 »
i thought it was. I think it's fairly priced round there too!

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 22:37:41, 04/06/18 »
Didsbury, East Didsbury, too pricey?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

silohill

« Reply #7 on: 20:48:39, 05/06/18 »
Didsbury, East Didsbury, too pricey?

I think that may be a little too far away for her tbh. She has a viewing on friday, which is a 1 bed flat on carmoor road, just off upper brook street (it's near the hospitals).

paperboy

« Reply #8 on: 16:14:46, 09/06/18 »
I grew up near Carmoor Rd (C-on-M) in the 1960's. Although everything is changed around their now, geographically it's close to the Uni...well, within walking distance anyway. Wilmslow Rd is not too far away either (the curry mile).

It's also close to where Elizabeth Gaskell lived (Cranford, North & South, Wives & Daughters etc....), and Emily Pankhurst lived near the Royal Infirmary for a time too (Nelson Street ?), again, not far away. Not that I knew of any of the literary or social links to the streets I was playing in at the time.

Corrupt council

« Reply #9 on: 10:30:57, 10/06/18 »
It's actually changing with specially buily apartments (boxes)in Manchester central. The council want the students in the deansgate area and a lot of infrastructure is being put in place for students .

Top class facilities, fallowfield is a dieing area the curry mile is long gone it's now the shisha [censored] hole. A disgusting montage of filthy kept shisha bars with little to zero control on them by the council.

It's also a crime ridden area fallowfield for many students are easy pickings for unwanted attention by Manchester's undesirable elements.
ROY.

paperboy

« Reply #10 on: 13:01:19, 10/06/18 »
I'm sorry to hear about the changes. When we were moved out of C-on-M in 1972, we moved to Fallowfield, Finchley Road, just off Yew Tree Lane. It was quite posh back then, the houses had gardens and inside toilets, baths, and running hot water.....luxury!
As I haven't lived in Manchester for over thirty years, I'm unqualified to comment on the rise and fall of any particular part of the city, but it seems to me that everywhere goes through changes over time. Because the changes are generational, it's hard on those who live through the downturns to see anything but decay...

St Chads Lad

« Reply #11 on: 13:13:32, 10/06/18 »
Yes it's sad to see the area that you grew up in go into decline

Parky

« Reply #12 on: 13:42:16, 10/06/18 »
I think most of the areas of Manchester are in decline ,  :(

paperboy

« Reply #13 on: 13:49:48, 10/06/18 »
And yet...on a forum, perhaps just like this one, in 30 or 40 years time, people will be reminiscing about their childhood days growing up in Manchester....

Parky

« Reply #14 on: 14:23:40, 10/06/18 »
Indeed O0