Author Topic: canals  (Read 3312 times)

ronyrash

canals
« on: 16:54:24, 10/06/18 »
62000 people already signed a petition to put up barriers along Manchester canals.Theres one
born every day.Does that mean there will be barriers all the way to Leeds and Liverpool?.And then barriers along buzy roads The canals are ikonik of Manchester the Bridgewater canal being the first canal in Britain.There are enough eysores in the worlds first industrial city without creating even more.We should have more respect for our heritage and not consider hiding it behind barriers,on the whim of mass hysteria.Its a complete no brainer.
Out or Nowt? Ready for Out.

St Chads Lad

Re: canals
« Reply #1 on: 17:27:23, 10/06/18 »
Absolutely agree with that comment,  unfortunately not everyone shares your concern for the history of our city,  how tall are  these proposed barriers going to be 4ft, 6ft, maybe 10ft ?

ExileSteve

« Reply #2 on: 00:27:33, 11/06/18 »

Why don't they go the whole hog and put up barriers around all the rivers as well? After all, I came heart-stoppingly close to plunging into the Mersey when I was aged about ten. I can't swim and even if I could I wouldn't have stood a chance against the current on that particular stretch, especially with it being greatly swollen after days of torrential rain.

We just can't be too careful, can we? And what about all those unguarded cliff tops and beaches? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, it'll just never do, will it?

Worry, worry, worry...…….. :-\

ronyrash

« Reply #3 on: 19:10:33, 18/06/18 »
There were over 700 self-terminations [suicides] on uk railways 2017.Is this justification to to erect barriers on rail  tracks?
Out or Nowt? Ready for Out.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #4 on: 19:33:21, 18/06/18 »
Good point ronyrash but I'm afraid that there are people out there that would like to do just that, we must bubble wrap the world to protect the millenials (I fear I'm gonna regret that post) ::)

paperboy

« Reply #5 on: 01:19:16, 19/06/18 »
No...I think you right St Chads Lad, Western society (excluding North America) works far too hard 'taking care' of people. The balance has clearly swung from one extreme (Victorian poverty) to the other (the nanny state). As usual, achieving a sense of balance seems beyond our grasp.

Corrupt council

« Reply #6 on: 19:40:42, 20/06/18 »
No...I think you right St Chads Lad, Western society (excluding North America) works far too hard 'taking care' of people. The balance has clearly swung from one extreme (Victorian poverty) to the other (the nanny state). As usual, achieving a sense of balance seems beyond our grasp.

Just to disprove that you said anything of sense here's some facts about a city in England that as you put it " works far to hard looking after people"

Homeless Statistics Manchester

Figures released in January showed that homelessness in the region had risen by 41% over the previous year and had quadrupled since 2010. The figures, based on a count conducted in November, estimated that 189 people were sleeping rough in Greater Manchester, up from 134 at the same point in 2015.8 May 2017

I'll leave you with that thought. Any one still think we look after people far to hard?

ROY.

paperboy

« Reply #7 on: 01:14:06, 21/06/18 »
What is that noise????

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 07:05:32, 21/06/18 »

Quote:

Figures released in January showed that homelessness in the region had risen by 41% over the previous year and had quadrupled since 2010. The figures, based on a count conducted in November, estimated that 189 people were sleeping rough in Greater Manchester, up from 134 at the same point in 2015.8 May 2017

However I'm sure it won't be an issue by 2020 like Andy Burnham stated.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

St Chads Lad

« Reply #9 on: 07:34:36, 21/06/18 »
Ah yes, a saviour is at hand , this geezer gets elected and promises to spend a fortune on ending homelessness and then moans that there isn't enough money to fund his policy, who knew? He certainly should have, but not to worry he and other "elected Mayors" are pushing to be allowed more control of budgets and indeed the ability to raise more, so it'll probably be the people that work and actually pay council tax that will be being bent over to pay for this and any other project that Muppet dreams up, congestion charge anyone?

Parky

« Reply #10 on: 07:46:07, 21/06/18 »
Congestion charge ,but under the excuse of “ air quality we have to do something “ , you can smell it coming.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #11 on: 09:30:13, 21/06/18 »
And this AM on Sky news they were asking what could be done to keep graffiti "artists" safe while they are out vandalizing the railways, ridiculous,  it seems clear to me the railways line is a dangerous place to be.

Parky

« Reply #12 on: 17:28:16, 21/06/18 »
And this AM on Sky news they were asking what could be done to keep graffiti "artists" safe while they are out vandalizing the railways, ridiculous,  it seems clear to me the railways line is a dangerous place to be.
what about a fence?

St Chads Lad

« Reply #13 on: 17:37:37, 21/06/18 »
That's the least we can do Parky, we have to care.

paperboy

« Reply #14 on: 02:20:05, 22/06/18 »
I'm thinking of starting up a company making fences....I think there's potential for massive growth here. Anyone care to invest ?