Author Topic: Riot in Ashton  (Read 4042 times)

paperboy

Re: Riot in Ashton
« Reply #30 on: 14:30:43, 20/06/18 »
Fair Doo's....but here's the thing. People think the other man's grass is always greener, so they hop the proverbial fence only to find that's not the case...nowhere in the world is free of problems. I make no excuses for migrants who 'won't' fit into the way of life in their host country, but it's not always as simple as it might seem. When you're under stress you go to what you know, even if what you know isn't the best response for the new situation people find themselves in.

I can remember walking through Central Park in New York back in the late 1970's, and coming across Irish immigrants raising money for the IRA. I was inclined to 'have a word', bringing all that crap over to their new home; but my cousin said it was best not to as gun crime in NYC was not uncommon. Back then guns were not two a penny in Manchester like they are now. Turns out the IRA were getting a huge proportion of their money from the States throughout the 'Troubles', so what I saw was nothing new.

Change is slow, generational; people need time that isn't always made available. Along the way there will be events like this happening. For the host nation it seems unfair, as if those who came and are causing problems are not grateful, but often if looked at in context, such events are small. That said, I'll repeat what I said in an earlier post...as far as individuals are concerned; break the law, pay the price.

St Chads Lad

Re: Riot in Ashton
« Reply #31 on: 15:06:05, 20/06/18 »
A very well reasoned and thought out response,  and it gives me food for thought,  thank you  :)