Author Topic: Bus routes you used a lot.....  (Read 1015 times)

paperboy

Bus routes you used a lot.....
« on: 04:18:10, 23/06/18 »
It's going back a while, but I can remember getting a Trolly-bus (no 40) on Upper Brook Street in to town. The conductor would get off at Brunswick St, and switch the pole over onto another line before the bus moved on. I think he did the same at All Saints, but I might have remembered that incorrectly. When the Trolly-bus'es passed into history the bus number was changed to 50.

Years later I caught the 53 at the corner of Wilmslow and Dickinson Rd's to get to work on Oldham Rd. That was a long a dreary ride twice a day, made a little better only because for a while SELNEC decided to have music playing on their buses.

The last bus I caught with any frequency was the 48 from Piccadilly to Yew Tree Lane, Fallowfield. After the slow haul through Wilmslow Rd traffic, the bus drivers would give it plenty of welly down Platt Lane....

Corrupt council

Re: Bus routes you used a lot.....
« Reply #1 on: 05:58:56, 23/06/18 »
That stopped back in the 60s I think they were called  trolley busses.

I'm sure they were based in ashton.
And there was a lot of routes .
ROY.

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 12:58:01, 23/06/18 »
They were indeed called trolley buses. I used the 215/6, Ashton bus, from Ashton New Rd, into Stevenson Square. I found them to be quiet, pollution free and good acceleration. I think the network ran until 1966.
Maynes bus company who had a garage in Clayton/Droylsden ran a convention bus down Ashton New Rd which we preferred as it was limited stop and was quicker to get in and out of town.
The 53 though was my lifeline, enabling me to get to school in Openshaw, then work in Crumpsall, as well as Maine Rd to watch City and Belle Vue amusement park for speedway. Coming back from watching City we would go upstairs where it was thick with cigarette smoke but nobody bothered then and if it was raining the windows were all misted up so you had to keep an eye out for your stop. The  terminus was Queens Rd, Cheetham Hill the other Brooks Bar unless it was a 53x which might terminate at Belle Vue. As a child I always wondered what this Brooks Bar place was like.

Corrupt council

« Reply #3 on: 13:40:59, 23/06/18 »
The lines were all over though
 Think that was the problem.
ROY.

paperboy

« Reply #4 on: 13:57:51, 23/06/18 »
Thanks for the spell check Brad. From memory, and it's going back a bit here. The Brooks Bar terminus was outside Henshaws Institute for the Blind, close to the roundabout that brought you down to Manchester Docks. A big, jet black,building it was probably nice looking stone under all that pollution.
I only took the 53 all the way to Queens Rd once or twice, but like you, used it often to get to work and places like Belle Vue for the concerts they had in King's Hall....saw the Jackson 5 there when Micheal looked normal (before he became a cartoon character), Barry White, and a few others. In those days I could walk from home to Main Rd to watch City.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #5 on: 13:59:53, 23/06/18 »
When I was a kid we lived in Higher Broughton and used the 62, 75 and 35 for school, later moving to Cheetham and going to secondary school at St Clare's in Blackley and using the number 60 up Viccy Avenue,  after leaving the number 7 to Moston for my first job, then numerous services all over the Manchester area in the course of my work until I passed my test in 1978, not used 'em much since, I got a bike for working in town, won't use public transport now, I'd sooner walk.

Corrupt council

« Reply #6 on: 14:00:16, 23/06/18 »
Just read manchester is trying again to do an underground rail line between victoria and piccadilly.

The PiccVic line .

Seems very small time to me .why not build it big connect all the region's . Plan it build it.

ROY.