Author Topic: ST EDMUNDS SCHOOL MONSALL  (Read 3254 times)

Joseph Martyn

ST EDMUNDS SCHOOL MONSALL
« on: 15:52:11, 28/09/18 »
Hi, does anyone know of anyone who attended the St Edmunds Junior Boys School, Monsall, during the early 1960s...?
If so, do they remember a teacher named Archdeacon...?

Claude

Re: ST EDMUNDS SCHOOL MONSALL
« Reply #1 on: 19:32:40, 28/09/18 »
I had long left by then but pals that were still there mentioned the name.I only remember because it was unusual. It might appear a daft thing but did he have an Australian connection?

Joseph Martyn

« Reply #2 on: 21:06:44, 28/09/18 »
Hi Claude...I don't know if he had an Australian-connection but, he may have been ex-R.AF...!
His first name may have been Archibald...!

Claude

« Reply #3 on: 22:47:12, 28/09/18 »
Sorry Joe, it would appear that my recollections maybe a bit awry after all this time. I left in 58 and the teachers that I remember were Headmaster Kelly, Messrs Deagan, Macdermott, Cleary, there must have been more but I cannot name them.
I used to live right next to the school in St Edmund's St.

Joseph Martyn

« Reply #4 on: 23:45:20, 28/09/18 »
Hi Claude...Thankyou for your help...Do you know the first name of the teacher called Deagon...?

Claude

« Reply #5 on: 07:37:06, 29/09/18 »
Morning Joe,
His first name was coincidentally Joe.

Joseph Martyn

« Reply #6 on: 09:35:50, 29/09/18 »
Morning Claude...Hope all's well with you on this lovely sunny morning...The teacher that I'm thinking of had a moustache & would sit there swisting the ends of it - he also would sit there wrapping cellophane around his cane...!
Have a nice day, enjoy the sunshine...!

Joseph Martyn

« Reply #7 on: 16:19:31, 04/10/18 »
Hi, if anybody experienced child abuse, (physical or psychological abuse,) whilst attending St Edmunds Junior/Senior Boys School, Monsall, Manchester during the early 1960s &, you'd like to get in touch - please feel free to message me...!

Claude

« Reply #8 on: 16:10:44, 05/10/18 »
Hi, if anybody experienced child abuse, (physical or psychological abuse,) whilst attending St Edmunds Junior/Senior Boys School, Monsall, Manchester during the early 1960s &, you'd like to get in touch - please feel free to message me...!
[/quote
 Hi Joe, Just read your post and I hope that you were not subjected to anything unsavoury. We tend to look back on those times through rose coloured glasses but reading between the lines you were not happy.
I left in 58 so not in your timeframe.

Joseph Martyn

« Reply #9 on: 17:54:49, 05/10/18 »
Hi Claude, thankyou for your kind words...Yes, I was subjected to physical & psychological abuse meted out to me by a bullying brute of a man named Archdeacon...Between 1961 & 1963 aged between 7 & 9 he thrashed me many times with his cane, why?
Well, I was & still I am a left-handed person...
Archdeacon would come-up on the blind-side of me & lash-out at me on many occasions, striking me on the left-hand; the wooden pen & ink would go anywhere...On occasions, he would haul me out in front of the class & give me 'six-of-the-best,' while shouting at me saying such things as "you've got the devil in you" &, "you're no good!"
I remember going home some days with my hand & wrist black & blue where he'd struck me with the cane...I was terrified of him which led to me playing truant a lot...!

Claude

« Reply #10 on: 22:32:12, 05/10/18 »
Joe,
The only thing that I can think of being the cause of your attacks by this cretin is the old definition of left handedness. It was "sinister", so I can only think that the thug was literally trying to knock the Devil out of you. What a warped character he must have been!

Joseph Martyn

« Reply #11 on: 15:23:26, 06/10/18 »
Hi Claude...Hope all's well with you...Regarding left-handedness & the association with the Devil...Apparently it stems back to the readings of the Bible...In the book of Matthew it states that on the last day of judgement, the ones chosen with the right hand shall inherit the Kingdom &, the ones chosen with the left hand shall go into the fire with the devil...No doubt Archdeacon was a sick individual if he believed in such nonsense...!