Author Topic: Waco Cult  (Read 1143 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Waco Cult
« on: 07:56:10, 01/11/18 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46039014

The world watched as a compound in Waco, Texas, became a horrific fireball. Inside the burning building were cult leader David Koresh and scores of his followers. Twenty-five years on, relatives of the British victims reflect on what happened.

Koresh became infamous as the self-styled prophet who thought he was the new Christ.

His followers were in thrall to him, and remarkably, 30 of them were British. Only six of them survived.

They came from the streets of Manchester, London and Nottingham - outwardly ordinary young people in their 20s and 30s.

History has largely forgotten them. These are their stories.

Read link
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Waco Cult
« Reply #1 on: 08:00:56, 01/11/18 »
I don't remember this at all, however we have a member on here who was in a cult, so he would possibly recall it.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #2 on: 09:27:16, 01/11/18 »

I seem to  remember it, the authorities were monitoring the compound in Waco and discovered Koresh was stockpiling weapons, and after a stand off, took the initiative to go in using force, which resulted in a gun battle with the Federal agencies, it emerged that Koresh was also abusing women and children in his commune and was brainwashing members about life outside the compound, ultimately it burned to the ground.
     The inquests into the deaths of the Manchester members were held at the Coroners office on London rd.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 09:47:51, 01/11/18 »
The warning signs were there, I wonder if it was arson or something to do with the weaponry :-\

St Chads Lad

« Reply #4 on: 09:55:20, 01/11/18 »
I think at the time the fire was attributed to the ferocity of the assault on the compound which involved armoured vehicles, it was quite a ferocious exchange, a film was made of the incident called "Ambush in Waco".

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 10:10:01, 01/11/18 »
Thanks for the info. :)