Author Topic: White Nancy  (Read 1546 times)

ronyrash

White Nancy
« on: 17:55:38, 15/11/18 »
Hi Frummers,
                   Shortly after the war i was packed off at about 6 years old to a Manchester Convalesence Home in Bollington. It was a large mansion.Most days a group of us children would go on a long, country walk.Singing songs
like,Henry My Son,Santa Lucia,and Sammys Uncle.Songs i still sing to this day.
                  One of the walks was up a big hill to an obelisk called  White Nancy.Nancy is an old word for the Narcissus flower
which is a member of the Poppy group,and from which  comes the word Narcotics,Its probable  the White part of the name refers to opium.Which will come as a surprise to many people.As will the widespread use of opium during the industrial revolution[re- Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell] 

Out or Nowt? Ready for Out.

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: White Nancy
« Reply #1 on: 17:48:15, 16/11/18 »
I knew about the Narcissus and opium, didn't know it was called White Nancy, thanks for the info.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

ronyrash

« Reply #2 on: 16:43:19, 18/11/18 »
Hi Forummers.Celestes post caused me to think some more bout White Nancy,which as far as I can gather was originally intended to be a shelter,it used to have seats and a table inside before it was sealed up.[Id love to open it  and have a look.]Possably it was built as a war memorial. In which White Nancy was used a great deal to bring relief to the wounded.
Out or Nowt? Ready for Out.

ExileSteve

« Reply #3 on: 21:52:35, 19/11/18 »

My wife and I are fond of White Nancy and the hill it sits on. It was one of the first walks we enjoyed when I took her to Manchester for the first time, so it provides us with some lovely memories. We haven't been on many long walks since the kids arrived but we'll resume the habit as soon as possible! Thanks for the information, I would never have made the connection without reading that.

:)