Author Topic: CHRISTMAS 2018  (Read 9813 times)

cheethamgirl

Re: CHRISTMAS 2018
« Reply #15 on: 16:41:44, 21/12/18 »
Same to you, Celeste. Thankyou for hosting this friendly site.  O0
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 18:15:56, 21/12/18 »
Thanks D, I like to keep it friendly to attract people such as yourself, people are more likely to come out of their shell and keep the threads 'flowing' if there is a genial atmosphere.

Cheers O0
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Parky

« Reply #17 on: 18:16:48, 21/12/18 »
Happy Christmas to you celeste and everyone on this great forum,  :smitten:

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 18:19:23, 21/12/18 »
Thanks Parky, I appreciate your contribution ;)

St Chads Lad

« Reply #19 on: 18:35:10, 21/12/18 »

Yep, I hope everyone has a low cal, alcohol free vegan Christmas  ;D
  Only kidding, very best wishes to all on the Forum, I hope you all have a great time.  O0

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 18:50:56, 21/12/18 »
Thanks St. Chad's - I think ;D

Too late for any diets after another turkey lunch :-[
maybe a New Year resolution 8)

Appreciate your contribution to the forum

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 12:14:29, 22/12/18 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2246j10jmVrJYBz6HwbbwZX/15-handy-hacks-for-cooking-the-perfect-christmas-dinner?intc_type=singletheme&intc_location=radio4&intc_campaign=christmas&intc_linkname=article_15hackschristmasdinner_contentcard28

As The Kitchen Cabinet found out, the Christmas Dinner has a long and interesting history.

We’ve been gobbling turkey at Christmas as far back as the 16th century, with Henry VIII famously the first English monarch to eat the bird on Christmas Day.

Now served up in homes across the nation, a big bird with all the trimmings is as much a part of Christmas as decorating the tree or squabbling with the relatives. But with so many different elements to juggle, cooking the traditional festive feast can seem like an intimidating task.

Luckily we’ve pulled together some handy tips that will help make preparing and cooking the Christmas meal a piece of cake. (Not literally, of course.)

oldron

« Reply #22 on: 11:06:35, 23/12/18 »

Well it looks like I'm going to make it through yet another Christmas  O0

I've had -- and am still having -- an interesting life, made more enjoyable by sharing the thoughts and history of all the members of this forum.

My New Years resolution is to continue stretching my mind and body and learn a bit more about my Genealogy and the history of Cheetham Hill.

Bless you all and I wish you a happy and peaceful Holiday.

Oldron.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: 12:33:38, 23/12/18 »
Glad you are enjoying the forum Oldron  O0

cheethamgirl

« Reply #24 on: 13:22:17, 23/12/18 »

I've been greatly enjoying my subscription to the British Newspaper Archive. It's great for research. But I came across a snippet which Oldron and others might find interesting.

In August 1956, four schoolboys - Brothers David (12) and John (10) Lucas  of Boyle St., Cheetham and brothers Leonard (9) and Eric Stapleton (6) of Temple Square, were playing on Barney's Croft when they came across and old sofa dumped there. They jumped up and down on it and out fell a bank pass book containing banknotes amounting to £1,300. They dutifully handed these over to the police.

Investigation revealed that the bank book belonged to a gentleman named Mr Myer Horowitch. Horowitch was a Russian émigré who had come to Manchester at the turn of the 20th century and had never learned English or become naturalised but had made a small fortune running a scrap rag and metal business at 25-31 Mary Street, Strangeways. He had gone missing from his home, 1 Brunswick St., Cheetham  in 1939 whilst his family were out at the theatre, and he was never found. He was declared dead in 1954 and his estate, valued at £10,000, was inherited by his three children. Following his disappearance, his children had sold the sofa for £6. It had passed through several owners until eventually, it had been bought by a Mrs Webster who lived in a caravan parked on Barney's Croft. She had subsequently bought a new sofa and chucked out the old one onto the croft. She was kicking herself to think she'd been sitting on £1,300 for six months and hadn't known anything about it!

Barney's used to have a great many circus, show folk and travellers camped on it, and birth records show a lot of children were born on the croft over the years. It became not only a dumping ground, often for hazardous waste, but was a place local prostitutes took their clients. During my childhood, I recall reports of highly exotic plants found growing there, the seeds having been thrown out as kitchen waste from local Indian restaurants. There was also cannabis growing there, from the birdseed in discarded budgies cage litter. What a place. Anyone know if Barneys has been built on now?

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 14:09:43, 23/12/18 »
Quoted from CheethamGirl:

I've been greatly enjoying my subscription to the British Newspaper Archive. It's great for research. But I came across a snippet which Oldron and others might find interesting.

In August 1956, four schoolboys - Brothers David (12) and John (10) Lucas  of Boyle St., Cheetham and brothers Leonard (9) and Eric Stapleton (6) of Temple Square, were playing on Barney's Croft when they came across and old sofa dumped there. They jumped up and down on it and out fell a bank pass book containing banknotes amounting to £1,300. They dutifully handed these over to the police.

Investigation revealed that the bank book belonged to a gentleman named Mr Myer Horowitch. Horowitch was a Russian émigré who had come to Manchester at the turn of the 20th century and had never learned English or become naturalised but had made a small fortune running a scrap rag and metal business at 25-31 Mary Street, Strangeways. He had gone missing from his home, 1 Brunswick St., Cheetham  in 1939 whilst his family were out at the theatre, and he was never found. He was declared dead in 1954 and his estate, valued at £10,000, was inherited by his three children. Following his disappearance, his children had sold the sofa for £6. It had passed through several owners until eventually, it had been bought by a Mrs Webster who lived in a caravan parked on Barney's Croft. She had subsequently bought a new sofa and chucked out the old one onto the croft. She was kicking herself to think she'd been sitting on £1,300 for six months and hadn't known anything about it!

Barney's used to have a great many circus, show folk and travellers camped on it, and birth records show a lot of children were born on the croft over the years. It became not only a dumping ground, often for hazardous waste, but was a place local prostitutes took their clients. During my childhood, I recall reports of highly exotic plants found growing there, the seeds having been thrown out as kitchen waste from local Indian restaurants. There was also cannabis growing there, from the birdseed in discarded budgies cage litter. What a place. Anyone know if Barneys has been built on now?

That was interesting, Barney's Croft was in Cheetham Hill then :-\

How are your own books doing :)
« Last Edit: 14:16:20, 23/12/18 by celeste »

ExileSteve

« Reply #26 on: 22:12:01, 23/12/18 »
Merry Christmas to everybody on this excellent forum! And thank you, Celeste, for making it possible. ;)

St Chads Lad

« Reply #27 on: 22:40:53, 23/12/18 »
Barneys has been built on, now occupied by the Manchester fort shopping centre, Irish world heritage centre and the Metrolink has a depot on it, also I think there is a Traveller site on there too

cheethamgirl

« Reply #28 on: 07:28:47, 24/12/18 »
Thanks, St Chads Lad. Barney's Croft was situated on Queens Road opposite the bus garage. It seemed like a vast expanse to me, but then I was very little when I used to play there.

Parky

« Reply #29 on: 09:09:04, 24/12/18 »
I might have asked this question before but wasn’t there a roller skating rink opposite the bus depot but set back was it called blonde hall ?