Author Topic: CHRISTMAS 2018  (Read 9804 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: CHRISTMAS 2018
« Reply #30 on: 09:52:47, 24/12/18 »
Merry Christmas to everybody on this excellent forum! And thank you, Celeste, for making it possible. ;)

Thanks Steve, and for your entertaining input 8)

I must say that our Admin started this forum and thanks are due mainly to him.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

St Chads Lad

« Reply #31 on: 13:39:07, 24/12/18 »
I might have asked this question before but wasn’t there a roller skating rink opposite the bus depot but set back was it called blonde hall ?

I seem to recall there was a roller skating rink there, but I thought it was inside an old cinema that was situated on Cheetham Hill rd. next to the junction of Queens rd., I think the building burned down.
  I only went on Barneys a couple of times as I lived further up Cheetham hill toward the village but lots of kids from Chads lived around there and played there a lot.

Kbkxj-8

« Reply #32 on: 01:51:20, 27/11/19 »
The roller skating rink on cheatham  hill  rd was  opposite the  bus  depot. I use to go on my scooter and roller skate to "sugar sugar".would be great it I could go back there tomorrow, especially  on my scooter.

a childhood remembered

Russian Emigre
« Reply #33 on: 22:45:26, 02/05/21 »
This is actually my family’s story. I had only heard the version told to my sister and me as children. Are there any more stories about Horowitch -  Our aunty Rosie Horowitch was in Manchester newspaper as she was attacked in her house in Brunswick Street by someone looking for her brother Morris Horowitch. Thanks a childhood remembered

quote author=cheethamgirl link=topic=13127.msg311622#msg311622 date=1545571337]
I've been greatly enjoying my subscription to the British Newspaper Archive. It's great for research. But I came across a snippet which Oldron and others might find interesting.

In August 1956, four schoolboys - Brothers David (12) and John (10) Lucas  of Boyle St., Cheetham and brothers Leonard (9) and Eric Stapleton (6) of Temple Square, were playing on Barney's Croft when they came across and old sofa dumped there. They jumped up and down on it and out fell a bank pass book containing banknotes amounting to £1,300. They dutifully handed these over to the police.

Investigation revealed that the bank book belonged to a gentleman named Mr Myer Horowitch. Horowitch was a Russian émigré who had come to Manchester at the turn of the 20th century and had never learned English or become naturalised but had made a small fortune running a scrap rag and metal business at 25-31 Mary Street, Strangeways. He had gone missing from his home, 1 Brunswick St., Cheetham  in 1939 whilst his family were out at the theatre, and he was never found. He was declared dead in 1954 and his estate, valued at £10,000, was inherited by his three children. Following his disappearance, his children had sold the sofa for £6. It had passed through several owners until eventually, it had been bought by a Mrs Webster who lived in a caravan parked on Barney's Croft. She had subsequently bought a new sofa and chucked out the old one onto the croft. She was kicking herself to think she'd been sitting on £1,300 for six months and hadn't known anything about it!

cheethamgirl

« Reply #34 on: 07:25:57, 03/05/21 »
Hello, Russian Emigre. As a kid, I was fascinated by Barney's croft. My mother forbade me from playing there so, naturally, I did so at every opportunity. I'm still fascinated by the place and could never understand why it wasn't built upon long ago. I know people used to dump all sorts of rubbish there, even carboys of dodgy chemicals sometimes. I started researching Barney's in 2018 and I discovered a lot of births had been registered as having occurred there. It turns out these were births of travellers who regularly camped on Barney's. They had typical traveller names, such as Lee and Smith. Some were also fairground folks. I see that now that the site has been partly built over, it includes a permanent housing site for fairground folks.  Something else down there that used to fascinate me was the Queens Road bridge over the railway lines. When I used to look over the parapet as a kid, I thought it must be the deepest railway cutting on earth. To me, it seemed like a massive depression or valley, yet I suspect it probably only seemed so because I was a tot. It used to frighten me, especially as there was a house built to one side of the bridge and a long set of steps ran alongside it down towards the railway. 
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

cheethamgirl

« Reply #35 on: 07:46:51, 03/05/21 »
Just had another look at the Horowitch reporting. Yiddish speaking Russian Morris, who had moved to UK fifty years before and never learned to speak English, went missing in 1939. In 1953 his two sons and his daughter asked the courts to declare him dead so they could take control of his £10,000 of assets. Then, two years later, in February 1955, a man, described as 5' 9" tall, in his thirties and wearing a fawn gabardine overcoat, turned up at the Brunswick house and battered Morris's sister Rose (aged 53) with an iron bar. She was seriously injured and spent some time in the Jewish Memorial Hospital. The man had demanded to know where Morris was.  It looks like Morris was never found. An unsolved mystery. Did someone else hunt him down and kill him, or did Morris simply do a bunk to evade his pursuers?

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: 10:28:33, 03/05/21 »
This is so interesting. Can anyone help solve the mystery

All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

horowitchstories

« Reply #37 on: 14:57:29, 16/10/22 »
A few corrections. It wasn't Morris who disappeared but his father Myer or Meyer. Meyer probably was killed in a bombing raid in Manchester. It was Morris' sister Rosie who got attacked. Apparently Morris had been in Strangeways prison, but I have no record of that. It was Meyer who hid his money in various places, except banks, and that is why money was found in the old thrown out sofa.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #38 on: 16:12:00, 16/10/22 »
Horowitchstories: Thank you for clearing up that mystery. It's still an interesting story. Maybe our new Chancellor will be able to solve the sinking economy if he has a look down the back of his sofa! ;D